Social Worker - Family Support and Protection
Salary from £30,000 to £35,000 per annum
Full time contract - 37 hours a week
Job Purpose Summary
Managing a defined caseload, the social worker is responsible for working effectively with children, young people and families/carers to achieve positive change and improved outcomes. This includes enquiry, assessment, purposeful intervention through direct work and review in relation to child protection, child in need and children looked after, achieving permanency through care for children in care.
Family Support and Protection
Family support and protection works with families with long term complex issues that are most in need and require sustained intervention for more than three months, children subject to child protection plans. This includes reviewing and updating assessments, supporting families to achieve change, SGO (Special Guardianship Order) assessments, section 7 court reports, working with children subject to court proceedings who are at home or children subject to supervision orders.
Why work for Family Support and Protection in Chelmsford
- We have two family support and protection teams and we all work closely together which makes for a supportive and nurturing environment
- Excellent and regular supervision (case/development/reflective/systemic)
- We have regular structured peer supervisions as well as informal supervisions
- Team managers are committed to ensuring that their staff have a good work/life balance and their workers' wellbeing is a priority
- We have a mix of abilities in the team from ASYE to senior practitioners and we can share knowledge and development
- Our mid quadrant is in the centre of Essex, both Chelmsford and Braintree have main line rail links to London thus travel is easy. The location means that social work in mid has both rural and urban locations
- Mid Essex social workers are based in modern, friendly and pleasant offices in Chelmsford which have good links to motorways
- The community in mid is very diverse and the services users reflect this, the work we do is varied
- The cases in mid are reflective of the other three quadrants, we work hard to ensure that caseloads are manageable which allows time for direct work with families, using strength and relationship based models of working
- Mid Essex have unique senior practitioner and duty senior roles that support development and progression of social workers through the service
- Essex have a flexible working policy programme that, where possible, fits with family life and work life balance
- There is the opportunity to enhance your experience in court work as well as child protection and child in need practice policies and procedures
- Very keen on accommodating NQSWs where possible
Why not check out what our current team have to say about working in Family Support and Protection
What you'll need to join our Social Work teams
To play a key part in transforming the lives of children and families, you'll be a DIPSW, CQSW, CSS or equivalent graduate. This will be backed up by post-qualification experience as a children's social worker. Open to change and ready to innovate, you will be keen to join an environment where you can stretch yourself professionally, make an impact individually and deliver positive outcomes collaboratively.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wider operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job