Children's Social Work at Essex County Council has undergone a transformational journey in the last five years and we were immensely proud to be one of the first Local Authorities to be rated 'good' under the new Ofsted inspection framework in 2014.
We know that social work is a demanding, complex but fulfilling role and we recognise the importance of equipping you with the tools to build meaningful relationships and make lasting changes to our vulnerable families. We support our social workers to deliver fantastic social work through our comprehensive learning and development offer, delivered by our award winning Essex Social Care Academy.
I am very proud of our achievements and the recognition our social workers have received which have included winning the national Social Worker of the Year Award in 2014 and 2016. Essex is a great place to work and it's the perfect time for you to join us and play your part.
Assessment and Intervention (A&I)
These teams are the gateway through which children, young people, parents and carers, and other agencies gain access to Children and Families services. A&I undertakes incoming assessment and short-term intervention work with families.
They focus on children in need (CIN) and their families, offering three months' intervention. They also deal with S47 child protection enquiries, and work jointly with the police and other partners in assessing immediate risk for children that come to our attention. A&I primarily transfer cases into Family Support and Protection Teams should families require longer-term intervention, or if the children become subject to a child protection plan or come into care of the local authority. If following an assessment and brief intervention the family do not require a social work service, they could be stepped down to Family Solutions as part of our Early Help Offer.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Diploma or Degree in Social Work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent
- Registration with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) as Registered Social Worker
- Demonstrable capability of practice in accordance with current professional standards eg Professional Capability Framework (PCF), Knowledge & Skills Statement (KSS)
- Case recording
- Demonstrate ability in the application of SW knowledge, using emotional intelligence, analytical skills and act with confidence in challenging social and family situations.
- A good working knowledge and ability to use information technology and related systems eg, Word, SW case recording systems
- Required to work flexibly as required, including evenings and weekends if necessary.
- Required to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the County of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
- CSS or e
- Skills and Experience</font></b></p><p style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px"></p><ul type="disc"><li><font size="2">Diploma or Degree in Soci
- <p style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px"><b><font size="2">Knowledge