Small education charity is looking for a new Mary Poppins or Alfred Pennyworth … is this you?
We Solve Problems (WSP) is a small, and relatively new, education charity founded by three PhD mathematicians who wanted to bring the benefits of advanced mathematical thinking to kids aged 12-16. WSP encourages creative mathematical thinking and helps to develop pupil’s skills in communicating mathematical ideas. At present WSP works through UCL providing weekly Maths Circles to interested pupils during term times. If you visit our website you can find out more about what we do, and the type of maths we are promoting.
Our current General Manager has guided us through our first 18 months and we now have a viable organisation. We are ready to grow beyond where we are now but for this to happen we’re not sure if we need one General Manager doing the whole job, or split the role into two with a Marketing Manager and an Office Manager.
Marketing Job Spec (permanent, 3 days per week)
- Organising and promoting our weekly maths activities at UCL, keeping tutors and students informed about schedules and locations, booking rooms, etc
- Networking with schools, initially in West London, in order to promote our maths clubs with their maths departments and teachers; this will entail visiting the schools
- Raising awareness about our activities in social media such as FaceBook and Twitter
- Following new lines of financial support
- Producing appropriate supporting material such as leaflets and handouts
- Overseeing our translators, these are working on problems provided by an overseas site (you do not need to be able to speak any language other than English)
- Calendaring of events
Office Management Job Spec (permanent, 2 days per week)
- HR management including payroll and holiday records, as well as other requirements of contractors, translators, employees and volunteers
- Keeping accounts including raising payments, bank reconciliation, and liaising with the accountants
- Communicating with official organisations, eg: HMRC and the Charity Commission
- Reviewing, updating, and amending internal policies as required
- Ensuring legal needs such as insurance and DBS checks are met
- GDPR lead
- Advanced Excel skills
This role of General Manager (or these roles of Marketing/Office Manager if split between two people) will be home-based with external visits as required - especially with the Marketing role. There will be a requirement to attend some events at UCL, possibly every other Saturday during term time, for which expenses will be paid and time off in lieu will be given.
- Self-starter who is able to prioritise your own workload, arrange your own working day, and be comfortable working alone with minimal intervention
- Be comfortable with maths, you do not need to have any specific level of maths education or exams but you must be comfortable around mathematical concepts and language
- A good understanding of how a charity works and its specific needs
- Be able to work from home, with your own appropriate internet access, telephone, and computers
- Have a good understanding of the secondary-school system in England
- Be able to engage and communicate clearly at a variety of levels
- Be able to get to the Euston area of London easily, and be happy to travel around London
We are very easy going and flexible but we will know the right person(s) when we see them. We would be happy to consider one person to fill both roles, or two people taking one role each with the ability to cover for each other if necessary.
Salary for this as a single role is £25,000 with 4 weeks holiday plus bank holidays, both pro-rata for the individual roles. We would like our new person to start as soon as is convenient so we encourage you to apply as quickly as you can as if we have exceptional applications we reserve the right to close the job earlier. We can only consider those with the right to work in the UK.
In order to be considered for this, or these, roles please complete the attached Application Questions sheet detailing why you would be perfect for us. We would also like you to provide us with a CV that includes the following information:
- A full working history, with the most current first and any/all non-working times accounted for
- Educational attainments
- Voluntary work or any other charitable experiences
- Notice period required
- Secondary Education
- Working Alone
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'