Reed Scientific are recruiting a Chemist for a growing chemical processing company in South Wales. Our client is a leading supplier of chemical management solutions; from manufacture through to disposal and embrace an ethos of internal promotion and investment in people.
You will be responsible for effluent and chemical waste processing and required to assist in the direction and control of daily activities whilst maintaining the highest level of compliance to the company’s health and safety, environmental, procedural and statutory goals. This is a “hands on” position and the candidate would also benefit from previous experience or knowledge of a Chemical Manufacturing or Effluent Management processes.
Role & Responsibilities
• Analyse water quality samples using a variety of inorganic chemistry techniques, including but not limited to colorimetry, potentiometry, turbidimetry, ion chromatography, spectroscopy and wet chemistry.
• Adhere to relevant regulations, legislation and certifications and report results in a timely manner on a seven day working rota.
• Working a rotational shift pattern with alternating days and nights.
• Understand and adhere to the Laboratory Quality System, and the instructions there in.
• Provide support to the wider business on matters of sample analysis and reporting of results.
• Understand the importance of the role in effective monitoring of water quality for protection of public health.
• Manage operations in conformance with the working plan and any other statutory requirements.
Continually strive towards the highest health & safety goals.
• Maintain, develop and follow company procedures where they impact on operations.
• Maintain the highest standards of housekeeping.
• Work with the Site Manager to monitor and improve productivity and efficiencies, including those of the operatives.
• Assist in reviewing and developing processing capabilities.
• Ensure the treatment of wastes via the treatment plant is maximised and carried out efficiently.
• Ensure that all records required by statutory regulation and company procedure are maintained.
• A degree (or equivalent) in Chemistry or related subject area.
• Ability to work a rotational shift pattern alternating between days & nights.* Demonstrable Laboratory based experience using on Inorganic Chemistry techniques.
• Proficient IT skills particularly with Microsoft Excel and/or similar database software.
• Good Working knowledge of COSHH and Health & Safety.
• Awareness of ISO 9001, 14001 & 18001 compliance regulations.
• Practical, methodical and able to follow detailed written instructions with attention to detail.
• Able to prioritise and plan workload.
• Experience in a Waste Transfer Station environment would be beneficial.
Reed Specialist Recruitment Limited is an employment agency and employment business