To investigate and plan the most appropriate routing for each client's needs, while remaining attentive to costings. They will calculate new quotes for road transport, then submit quotations to existing and new clients. The employee will need a knowledge of tariffs and rate negotiation skills. The shipping operative will maintain their own customer accounts and gain new business working in conjunction with sales executives to develop and secure new custom.
The operative will liaise with suppliers to ascertain bookings, confirm readiness dates and arrange loadings. The position entails preparing job files for invoicing and liaising with the invoicing team. The operative will need to develop good relationships with customers and keep in contact with them regarding the progress of their shipments. The role will involve cost and margin analysis, maintenance of files and investigation of any queried invoices received to check whether they are correct or not.
The successful candidate will have vital input into the design, preparation and implementation of our new processes for submission of customs declarations relating to EU consignments. Once the new regulations for this are brought in, the operative will need to ensure a compliant process to both Customs and our clients in processing Customs entries to HMRC. The operative will ensure goods are Customs cleared in a timely manner to facilitate the movement of freight which will involve the following tasks:
- Checking original cargo related documentation including packing lists, manifests and bills of lading to make sure all customs requirements are met
- Consulting and understanding the UK customs tariff – commodity codes, Duty rates, VAT exceptions
- Calculating and processing Duty and VAT for entries to HMRC for shipments to the UK
- Submitting details into the HMRC system prior to consignments arriving in the UK in order for the goods to clear once in the UK
- Registering and applying insurance requirements both for our client’s shipments and within customs entries
- Checking arrival dates for consignments coming into UK ports
- Liaising with customers regarding any holds or delays with customs release and speaking directly to customs/port health officials to resolve issues
- The ideal candidate will come from a freight forwarding, customs clearance or strong administrative background
- Fully competent with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- A quick learner who will swiftly adapt to using our bespoke software package
- The ability to manage your own workload efficiently and proactively
- A good team player who will be willing to assist colleagues when required
- Ability to accurately & efficiently transpose information into internal transport management system
- Experience in the maintenance and management of client accounts, rate and contract databases and files
- Analytical and accurate
- Report writing and ability to provide concise progress updates
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Proficient at wording emails to clients in a professional manner and ensuring that all client requests are fulfilled and answered in a timely manner
- Confidence in building and maintaining relationships with customers in order to generate and increase new business
- Entrepreneurial spirit, looking for new opportunities to promote business growth
Benefits include gym membership and discretionary Christmas bonus
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'