Title: Shipping Clerk
Location: Callington, Cornwall.
Salary: £18,000 - £19,000 per annum.
Astra Recruitment are recruiting for a Shipping Clerk to join our freight forwarding clients team. This role will be based in Callington, Cornwall.
This role will involve the organisation and management of international freight deliveries. You will need to manage your client’s expectations in regards to delivery dates and quotes. You will need to develop working relationships with your customers.
Ideal candidates will have previous experience in account management, Ocean imports and Freight forwarding. We are looking for candidates with a background in Logistics coordination, Freight, Imports, Supply chain and Customs coordination.
As the Shipping Clerk you will be responsible for:
- Investigate and plan the most appropriate shipping method based on individual client's needs.
- Keep costs in line with client’s budgets.
- Liaise with a network of overseas contacts on a daily basis to confirm bookings, availability, delivery dates and arrange loadings.
- Develop good relationships with customers
- Keep clients regularly updated regarding the progress of their shipments and arrival of cargo; advise them of any changes or issues.
- Arrange deliveries
- Complete cost and margin analysis
- Send status reports
- Update in-house systems, paperwork and files.
- Gain new business working in conjunction with sales executives to develop and secure new clients.
- Prepare job files for invoicing
- Chase suppliers/Hauliers for updates and relevant paperwork
As the Shipping Clerk your key skills and experience will include:
- Experienced within ocean imports and freight forwarding - Desired
- Experience in the account management of clients – Essential
- Analytical and accurate
- The ability to manage your own workload efficiently and proactively
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills - both by phone and via email
- Customs clearance experience – Desired
- Fully competent with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word and especially Excel
- Team player who will be willing to assist the operational team when required
- A quick learner who will easily adapt
Working Hours: Full Time Monday - Friday – 8:45am-5:30pm.
1 hour lunch break.
Please note that due to the location of this role we can only consider applicants who have full driving licences and access to their own vehicles.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks of application by one of our consultants here at Astra Recruitment for a short telephone pre-screen prior to being submitted to the client. Unfortunately due to high levels of applications you will not be contacted if you are unsuccessful.