Job Title: Shipping Assistant - Import & Export
Location: Manchester - (Victoria Station area, M3) - must be a driver as you will need to travel to the warehouse site on occasion (in Trafford)
Salary: £20,000 + benefits including pension etc.
Job Type: Permanent
Working Hours: Monday to Friday - 8.30am to 5.30pm
Job Reference: KT9377
- Be a good communicator
- Be focussed on good customer service and able to build and grow relationships
- Have at least two years of experience in an import / export / shipping role
Reporting to the Purchasing Director and working closely with the Shipping Coordinator this role will be responsible for providing first class support to sales and purchasing staff to assure on time shipments inbound and outbound. This role requires a highly organised individual with excellent communication skills. Professional, confident and totally reliable - this person will possess the ability to work effectively under pressure.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage imports from EU and non-EU countries
- Arranging with freight forwarders to collect goods where required from the supplier for delivery to our warehouse
- Ensuring all documentation meets commercial and statutory requirements for ourselves, HMRC, and Chamber of Commerce where required
- Tracking the shipment until delivery and keeping purchasing and warehouse staff up to date with delivery information
- Ensuring any information required by the supplier or freight forwarding company to complete the requirements of their local customs and VAT requirements is supplied in a timely and accurate way
- Arrange VAT deferment with the forwarder/clearing agent
- Manage deliveries to customers predominantly in the UK and occasionally overseas
- Arrange collection of goods form our warehouse with the appropriate freight supplier for delivery to the buyer or their customer as required
- Arrange collection of goods from our supplier for delivery direct to the buyer or their customer as required
- Ensure accurate shipping documentation is supplied to concerned parties to meet all customer, supplier, HMRC or other local customs requirements as required according to destination
- Work with Purchasing to understand the requirements that new suppliers in different regions will require and be ready to execute those requirements when required
- Work with finance to ensure to ensure accurate shipping charges/invoices are created and correctly authorized
- Ensure you are up to date with all legal requirements pertinent to your role and are abreast of changes that may be created by e.g. Brexit
- Maintain a high standard of record keeping working with accounts to provide any information required for HMRC or external audit requirements
- By exception manage the flow of information to sales and purchasing in the event of shipments inbound or outbound failing to meet planned timescales or other types of failure, including what action is being taken to resolve the issue
- Keep shipping suppliers under constant review to ensure best possible quality of service to sales and purchasing
- Periodically with purchasing review all shipping arrangements and suppliers to ensure we are competitive in terms of cost and service to customers, and that a range of services are available to meet all of our customer’s requirements. Such requirements may change over time requiring the development of new services
- Provide cover as required to other support staff in the Technology division in sales admin and purchasing
- Train purchasing and sales admin staff in shipping procedures to ensure cover for your role
- Develop processes and procedures internally with sales, purchasing and accounts and externally with suppliers of shipping services to improve efficiency, lower cost and increase quality of customer service
The successful candidate will have worked in a customer focused role within a busy shipping department including experience of both domestic and import & export shipments with their associated document flows. The employee will have excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and the aptitude to build and sustain relationships with various stakeholders. They will be a self-starter who will display initiative, drive and enthusiasm. Additionally, they will have excellent planning and organisation skills with the ability to multitask and prioritise workload to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
The candidate will ideally hold higher level education qualifications and possess a minimum requirement of GCSE Level (or equivalent) English and Maths A-C grade. Additionally, the candidate will have good IT skills and be proficient in the use of Microsoft office packages.
Wilde Associates is working in the capacity of an Employment Agency in respect of this role.
- Export Administration
- Import Export
- Import Logistics