Senior Urban Designer - Strategic Planning
About the role
This Senior Urban Designer post within the Major Developments Team will be responsible for providing design input on a wide range of applications associated with various development schemes within the borough, including large scale development proposals and priority regeneration schemes. You will also support the lead officers in dealing with associated major applications, attend meetings, provide detailed advice and prepare design reports for various projects.
The role will be based at our offices in Whetstone, Barnet but will be moving to new offices at the end of 2018 in Colindale.
Planning and Development Management | Strategic Planning
Barnet is the seventh busiest Local Planning Authority (LPA) in England. Together Re and Barnet Council are working in partnership to deliver all planning functions, focussing on streamlining processes and providing investment to deliver better outcomes.
Every year, we process over 8,000 planning applications, investigate over 1,600 potential breaches of planning services and serve in excess of 100 enforcement notices.
Our planners manage a varied workload; one third of Barnet is protected by Green Belt, there are 16 Conservation Areas, 2,155 Listed Buildings and a number of significant regeneration projects taking place.
Barnet is the first LPA to test, develop and adopt a comprehensive service to fast track the administration and processing of planning applications. In addition we provide top up services and resilience support to other LPAs and offer Planning Consultancy Services across London and the South of England.
About Regional Enterprise
Re (Regional Enterprise Ltd) is a joint venture between Barnet Council and Capita. Re runs the Council's development and regulatory services including strategic planning, development management and regeneration services. Re will deliver growth in the Borough and develop a new and exciting consultancy business, which will supplement the core activities. Re aim to build better services, provide value for money, support the local economy and make Barnet an even better place to live and work.
What you will do:
- Identification of policy approaches and responses to improve urban design outcomes in existing and new developments, and the public realm
- Assist in the preparation, review and evaluation of spatial plans, policies and proposals and to report on their progress and continuing relevance, together with recommendations for appropriate review action
- To generate creative, inspired and implementable design concepts, having regard to relevant planning policies, site specific characteristics and stakeholder aspirations and needs
- Evaluate existing policy framework within the borough, particularly with respect to built form and provide design input in their review
- Provide design guidance with pre-application discussions; design workshops and major planning applications with developers and their representatives, on all matters relating to urban design and built form.
- Provide advice on proposals with significant impacts on the public realm, on environmental improvement schemes and on complex and/or sensitive design matters
- Keep up to date with relevant new legislation, policy and best practice in the field of urban design
- To ensure urban design policy is in alignment with corporate objectives.
Your experience will include:
- Leadership skills and be able to foster powerful and productive working relationships both within the service, across the Council and externally.
- An ability to present evidence or advice in public
- Have an excellent working understanding with computer systems including Microsoft Office, 3D software and GIS.
- Have In-depth technical knowledge and understanding of urban design and planning policies and related legislation
- Have Experience in preparing locally specific evidence base studies relating to urban design, particularly in the context of Local Plans
- Have demonstrable experience in the negotiation of design aspects of development proposals including planning applications.
- Have experience in a local planning authority context, of the assessment of development proposals from an urban design perspective.
- Demonstrate an ability to maintain professional awareness of legislation, from a local, sub-regional and national policy level, including professional development and political announcements on relevant topics.
- Have achieved a Degree or Diploma in Urban Design, Town Planning, Architecture or other designed based discipline.
What's in it for you?
At Capita, training and development aren't optional extras: they're how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a generous basic salary we also give you23 day's holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now.
Listen | Create | Deliver
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.