About the role
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer based in either our Derby or Matlock office. Working as part of the the Engineering and Technologies Solutions business, you will be required to lead the delivery of our rail focused software products.
We are looking for candidates with proven general software programming knowledge, an interest in traditional engineering solutions and a passion for delivery.
What you'll be doing
Duties and responsibilities will include;
- 60-70% of the role will be programming, using C# and Microsoft development stack
- Lead, consult or contribute on software development projects within the Balfour Beatty Rail software team, by undertaking analysis, design and development activities in line with the business software development process, quality plans and all other internal quality processes.
- Design & develop robust maintainable software for projects allocated by the business
- Carry out all work in accordance with our ISO-9001 and TickITplus quality system
- Support both directly and by leading or mentoring others in the full project lifecycle as required from capture through to final testing and release
- Work both independently and as part of a team to ensure to ensure the continued improvement of process
- Demonstrate an ability to grow your leadership potential and ability to influence others, such as mentoring more junior members of the team and leading projects
- Liaison with the project lead or product manager, including 'chairing’ daily stand-ups, to keep them updated with progress and identified risks
- Elicit and capture of requirements and oversea the production of testing documents as required by the project demands
- Work alongside other Senior Engineers, including domain experts, for the purposes of analysis, design, development and testing of allocated deliverables
- Provide & coordinate 2nd line support to users as required through the Technical Support department on the projects & products you are responsible for.
Who we're looking for
Desired Skills and Experience
We are looking for the following skills and experience;
- Significant experience with main stream programming languages to include C#, ASP.NET and SQL, with experience of React/Redux being highly advantageous.
- Degree or equivalent in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software development, Maths or Physics/Engineering
- Ideally administrator experience in Microsoft SQL Server or other RDBMS, experience of NoSQL being advantageous
- Expert in the use of the Visual Studio development environment building WinForm, and WPF applications.
- Ideally an understanding of TDD/Automated testing, Continuous Integration, Bug tracking processes, agile development, Resharper, WPF/MVVM, Microsoft Azure cloud solutions.
- Proven knowledge or experience of mobile device application development.
- Ideally a basic understanding of the Rail industry
- Excellent interpersonal and written / verbal communication
- Commercial experience
- Passionate about delivering quality software products & services in a LEAN environment.