Senior Scientist/Scientist – Formulation Early Product Development and Manufacturing
Location: Macclesfield, UK
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-driven biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients.
Pharmaceutical Sciences is a department within our BioPharmaceuticals R&D organisation. The vision for Pharmaceutical Sciences is to deliver the therapies of the future through scientific leadership in drug delivery, synthetic route design and manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) and formulated products. Our portfolio of projects includes a broad range of small and large synthetic molecules, from different drug modality classes, utilised in treatments across AstraZeneca’s therapy areas.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly capable Senior Scientist to join our Early Product Development and Manufacturing (EPDM) team in Macclesfield, UK. As a Formulation Scientist in EPDM, you will be responsible for/supporting the design of drug delivery systems for clinical studies. You will work closely with analytical, formulation, biopharmaceutics and solid-state scientists in EPDM as well as scientists in other functions to drive science and innovation within drug projects include global collaboration with scientists at our Cambridge, Boston & Gothenburg sites.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive/Support scientific product design, process and/or product performance understanding to influence strategies in early product development with line of sight to the late stage development
- Formulate APIs into conventional, enabling and sustained release dosage forms for oral administration
- Support clinical manufactures and author CMC documentation for clinical applications
- Measure physical attributes of APIs and formulated dosage forms using a variety of characterisation techniques
- Plan and conduct lab-based experimental work in accordance with project timelines
- Applies technical knowledge to improvement projects and the evaluation of new technology/processes
- Ensures own work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Keep abreast with the scientific literature and proactively apply existing and novel approaches to projects
- Publish novel work in peer reviewed journals
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree (preferably Masters or PhD) in Pharmaceutical Sciences or a related subject
- Experience of formulating and characterising a variety of dosage forms, for example, conventional immediate release tablets and capsules, amorphous solid dispersions, nanoparticles, lipid-based delivery systems and/or 3D printed dosage forms
- Experienced in developing and applying predictive tools to aid product design
- Experience in pharmaceutical science, especially formulation aspects, including demonstrating scientific leadership
- In depth understanding of how the physicochemical and solid-state properties of the drug, dosage form and route of administration affect the rate and extent of absorption
- Experience in building mechanistic understanding of the drug delivery system performance in vitro and linking it to in vivo performance
- Ability to use in silico tools in compound profiling and product design
Skills and Capabilities:
- Problem solving skills and capabilities, ability to demonstrate excellent practical laboratory skills
- Ability to handle several projects at the same time, using initiative and inventiveness to meet agreed objectives and timelines
- Good team working and networking skills and an ability to engage relevant AstraZeneca staff in new initiatives
- Ability to mentor peers for enhanced individual and team performance and development
- A good communicator with experience of interacting optimally across interfaces of subject area(s)
- Able to demonstrate the drive and energy to establish the role and make a difference
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal credibility
- Focus on delivery under pressure
- Work collaboratively across boundaries
Next Steps – Apply today!
Application Open Date 04/05/2020
Application Close Date 05/06/2020
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'