Senior Scientist - Right Particle
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company where we not only focus on the discovery, development and delivery of life-saving medicines to our patients but believe in sustainability and are determined to minimise the impact of our work on the environment. We are proud to be a phenomenal place to work and have a culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. We empower our colleagues to express diverse perspectives and at the same time feel valued, respected and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.Chemical Development:
In Chemical Development we believe that nothing is impossible, and we are determined to push the boundaries of science to deliver medicines to our patients. We combine people’s technical knowledge and understanding with their talent and drive to design, develop and optimise synthetic routes that deliver the active pharmaceutical ingredients of our medicines in a sustainable, commercially viable way. We believe in innovation and continuous improvement, working closely with colleagues in academia and across industry, to ensure that we apply the newest technologies and principles in the processes we develop.
We have an open position for a Senior Scientist in our Right Particle Team. The responsibilities and requirements of the position are outlined below.
As a Senior Scientist, you will be a scientific leader in our growing crystallisation and particle engineering community across Chemical Development. Together with your colleagues in other skill areas you will plan and drive improvement projects that will vary from technical activities, use of new technologies or modifying our ways of working within AstraZeneca or externally with our Contract Manufacturing Organisations (CMOs). On development projects you will work closely with chemical engineers, chemists, analysts, and statisticians to design, develop, optimise and scale-up complex processes to robustly deliver drug substance with desired physicochemical attributes.Key responsibilities:
In this role, you will:
- Lead and contribute to complex projects focusing on process development and the manufacture of drug substances.
- Provide expertise in process development, process scale-up and manufacturability for drug substance.
- Provide expert advice to colleagues in the development of crystallisation processes as an integral part of route development
- Act as a scientific specialist to initiate, drive and deliver science and technology improvement projects and other improvement activities within and outside the Chemical Development department.
- Tackle complex scientific problems.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Drug Product Development to identify and define the required particle properties for downstream processing
- Champion and drive the sustainability of right particle processes with respect to environmental impact, efficiency and cost.
- Drive the overall drug substance control strategy, ensuring processes are fully understood and will robustly deliver consistent drug substance quality.
- Deliver CMC content and contributions to regulatory filings throughout the clinical development phase and commercial filings.
- Develop external contacts (industrial and academic) to bring learning and alternative crystallisation and particle engineering science into AstraZeneca.
- Mentor and supervise junior colleagues and provide experienced advice to colleagues.
- A degree and / or PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. Equivalent experience will be considered
- Ability to support multiple projects as a lead Right Particle scientist.
- The ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in Drug Product Development to define desired particle properties for formulations, manufacturability and bioavailability.
- Expertise in a range of particle/materials characterisation techniques.
- Assessing, reviewing and reporting data from own work, with a clear understanding of its reliability. Interpret findings and draws authoritative conclusions and recommendations so that their significance can be appreciated.
- Present information for discussion in multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Working as a member of multi-functional teams, with a large degree of independence representing own department or area of expertise.
- Continuously develop yourself and your colleagues via training and shared learning experiences to improve our efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensuring own work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Strong communication and influencing skills.
- Experience of working in the Pharmaceutical or Fine Chemicals Industry.
- Experience of working with CMOs.
- Knowledge of particle size reduction unit operations.
- Participation in the production of non-crystalline or large molecule New Chemical Entities (NCEs).
- Some experience of modelling software (e.g. Aspen, DynoChem, gPROMS Formulated Products) to support process understanding.
- Experience in technology transfer and commercial production.
- Experience of leading and driving improvement projects such as establishing new technology or ways of working.
- Experience of working with external partners such as academia on investigating a new technology or processes and implementing these within the company.
Please note that applications must include your current CV and a cover letter and be submitted before midnight on 22nd October 2020.
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.Interested? Come and join our journey
So, what’s next!
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'