Senior Scientist - CRISPR - Based Screening
Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialised contract research organisation offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics. A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, and cell line engineering. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do - join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
The Gene Editing Senior Scientist will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, focused on expanding the CRISPR platform for screening purposes at Oxford Genetics. OG has a number of on-going programmes in this area, and multiple government supported grant awards, which the recipient will contribute towards.
The Senior Scientist will be expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to Scientists, Associate Scientists and Technicians working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
• Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
• To keep up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
• Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
• Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
• Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the group
• To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
• Provide accurate record keeping at all times
• PhD/DPhil in relevant discipline
• Proven experience of successfully carrying out large scale screens using RNAi/CRISPR platforms and/or lentiviral screening in a pooled and/or arrayed format
• Experience working in a commercial/industry setting is preferred but not essential
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong molecular biology skills and familiarity with NGS technology and its use in the interpretation of functional genomic screens
• Experience in the supervision and mentoring of scientific researchers, and demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team.
• Experience in HTS lab automation including liquid handling
Job Type: Permanent
Hours: Full time
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7%, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Child Care Voucher Scheme, Glasses Vouchers and a friendly working environment in a small and expanding company.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Medawar Building, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4GA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV. Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description.
DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. Entry into employment with Oxford Genetics and further progression will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the duties of the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass probation.
PRE EMPLOYMENT SCREENING:
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.
Please check your email for confirmation that your application has been received and to follow further instructions if applicable.