Senior Privacy Counsel - 6 PQE
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Due to Xero's continued growth, an exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Global Legal team with responsibility for partnering with the business and providing legal advice and support in relation to a range of complex privacy and data protection related legal, regulatory, and compliance matters. This role will report to Xero’s Global Privacy Counsel and work closely with the wider Legal team and external advisors.What you'll do..
- Support legal and business teams on privacy, data protection and spam marketing related matters.
- Work with product, technology and data services teams - including security, data governance and product compliance/regulatory - on existing and new data use cases and product features to ensure compliance with Xero’s approach to responsible data use, including working through data protection impact assessments (DPIAs) where appropriate.
- Take ownership over privacy and data protection projects and drive cross-functional engagement.
- Support data incident management.
- With the Global Privacy Counsel, take ownership of Xero’s response to enquiries from data protection regulators.
- Work closely with Customer Experience to ensure compliance with data subjects rights obligations.
- Help evaluate the impact of evolving legislative and regulatory environments for data protection on Xero’s various business units.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to champion data protection and compliance across the business while continuing to enable commercial opportunities in a fast-paced environment, including through the development and delivery of training and the promotion of awareness.
- Work with the compliance team and business leaders to support implementation of compliance procedures that will ensure Xero continues to optimise data sets for enhanced customer benefit
- Review and advise on data processing addenda and data protection/privacy related clauses in intra-group agreements and contracts with third parties.
- Coach and mentor junior members of the legal team.
- Support data protection related matters as part of M&A activity.
- Contribute to internal data protection policy and process development (including training)Liaise with and manage Xero’s external legal advisors as required
- Strong drafting, analytical, and interpretation skills.
- Strong commercial acumen and a pragmatic approach.
- Practical and proactive problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to take a proactive and creative approach to solving legal issues.
- Collaborative, growth and innovation mindset.
- Ability to convey complex legal matters in a digestible, plain-english format
- 6+ years post-qualification legal, privacy and data protection experience (in-house legal experience desirable).
- Detailed knowledge and experience of privacy laws and data protection frameworks, including the existing EU General Data Protection Regulation
- Law degree (strong academic results)
- Current practising certificate.
- Experience providing advice to companies in the technology sector preferred.
- Experience with fintech or financial services a plus
At Xero we work in a fast paced matrix environment so critical to your success will be your ability to work autonomously with a high level of attention to detail.
We champion innovation, foster inclusion and celebrate success. We also live and breathe our values everyday. As #Human is one of Xero's values, please outline in your application what makes you #human at work, and how do you think a legal function can be more #human?
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package with benefits that support a range of lifestyle choices and requirements and the opportunity to participate in Xero’s success through our Long Term Incentive scheme. Xero has rapidly expanding offices in London, Milton Keynes and Manchester and our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident committed. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'