The Role: Platts is looking for a Senior Modelling Analyst to take a lead role in modelling and technical developments underpinning its European gas and power fundamental and price forecasting and analysis services. Reporting to the European Analytics Modelling Manager, this exciting role will involve building and developing numerical models and analytical tools in support of our market-leading services. The role will leverage your detailed knowledge of numerical modelling techniques in energy markets.
- Design, develop and continuously improve models and technical tools that support the European Gas and Power analytics products. This includes models for Natural Gas and Power fundamentals as well as price forecasting for various time horizons (short, mid and long-term).
- Review, communicate and discuss model performance and efficiencies with the wider Analytics team as well as other key internal stakeholders. Be a leader in proposing, testing and implementing improvements as required.
- Take part in and potentially lead projects for new model developments. Be a driver in contributing with own ideas on both content and modelling techniques.
- Act as a liaison point for both the analytics content teams (to discuss model purpose and output) and with other technical teams such as Data and IT.
- Leverage numerical models to help shape the Platts European Gas and Power stories by analyzing all factors that contribute to the current and future value of energy in European markets. Play a part in identifying emerging trends early and, where possible, anticipate market movements.
- Built a strong understanding of the data structure in internal databases.
- Harness existing data sets and, where appropriate, identify new, valuable data sets for collection and analysis. Contribute to the rigorous review of the quality of that information. Work with Platts technology teams to continuously develop robust databases, products and tools that could become embedded in our customers’ work-flows and processes.
- Challenge processes and status quo. Stay well informed and up-to-date on any market changes impacting modelling activities by exchanging with the wider analytics and data teams and continuously research best available techniques. Use competitive intelligence to stay ahead and innovate.
- Engage internally and externally with market experts, customers and potential new customers, demonstrating Platts’ expertise and analytical excellence. Independently identify commercial opportunities to enhance product offering and drive execution.
- Mentor and support less experienced analysts and guide the wider analytical teams in the use of model development and data.
The Impact: Platts’ Analytics group is responsible for analyzing, interpreting and forecasting prices for global commodities including natural gas, power, oil and coal. Our customers represent a wide range of activities across the energy industry and, as a result, our analysis is reviewed and challenged from many different perspectives. You will play a key role in supporting Platts’ highly rated services and could also play a role in developing these services into major new growth areas.
The Career Opportunity: This is a role with significant potential for development within a short timeframe. You will be part of a central team within Platts’ analytical services that is responsible for all modelling activities. In addition, there will be ample opportunity to contribute to other areas of our market leading modelling and analysis, including taking part in customer-facing activities, webinars and conferences.
The Team / The Business: You will be part of the European Modelling team which comprises international specialists with outstanding modelling skills and knowledge of European and global Gas and Power markets.
Your Experience & Skills:
- A postgraduate degree (Masters, PhD) in Economics, Maths, Engineering or an equivalent numerate discipline.
- At least 5+ years of work experience in commodity markets with emphasis on modelling and numerical analysis. Experience of fundamental analysis and price forecasting of commodities/energy markets would be advantageous.
- Strong Excel and programming skills. Proven experience of model development using programming languages such as R, Matlab or Python is strongly desired. Knowledge of SQL and Tableau would be an advantage.
- Proven experience in numerical modelling. Applied knowledge of optimization and linear programming techniques would be advantageous.
- Innovative and creative in problem solving.
- Excellent at identifying potential improvements in quality and productivity and proactive in implementing them.
- Demonstrate a passion for modelling, for the energy industry and show a dynamic approach to learning. Continually expand upon your existing technical knowledge through potential training programs and available resources.
- Ability to manage stakeholders and manage projects.
- Commercially astute through listening to customers’ needs and able to identify viable opportunities for revenue generation.
- Track record of delivering against demanding targets and deliverables.
- Promoting a positive and team oriented work environment.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to listen, concise written style and good verbal skills. Verbal and written fluency in English is essential.
About S&P Global Platts
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with conviction. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
- Commodity Markets