24-month fixed-term contract - but a high likelihood of longer term employment
£38,883 to £47,722 plus flexible working and benefits
They say there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
Well…, maybe there is…, but without them, we’d miss the one in 10 that leads to a great innovation.
It takes optimism and ambition to ask the questions that prompt new ways of thinking. And that’s what we’re looking for in our next Senior Mechanical Engineer - a non-abrasive inquisitor who’s independently motivated and a creative problem-solver.
Orchestrating an exciting research programme involving three universities, we need a PhD or first-class degree-educated Senior Mechanical Engineer or Chief Engineer who has substantial industry experience in developing reciprocating or rotating machinery.
Perhaps you’ve been employed as a Senior Mechanical Engineer at some big industry names? Perhaps you feel pigeonholed and want more freedom to make a difference?
Maybe it’s time to change. Why the University of Nottingham? I’ll let you in on a secret… Joining a university doesn’t mean you’ll be trapped in a library stack, confined to niche research - actually, you have more freedom.
Without limitation to one technology or company, you’re at the forefront of engineering innovation and creativity. You have the opportunity to grasp and pursue your own intellectual property - which could be a legacy for a lifetime and beyond.
With flexible working and a host of benefits to boot, this opportunity at the University of Nottingham is where you and your ideas could really make a difference.
- Driving a major new research programme, involving the University of Nottingham, Oxford University, and Imperial College
- Integrating computational models from rotor dynamics, stress analysis, non-linear vibration, aeroelasticity and electro-mechanical domains into a 'super model’
- Proactively and independently interacting with technical experts in other industries, such as automotive, to look into issues and techniques
- Liaising with partner universities, internal teams, and customers
- Operating in a team of circa 25, reporting to a manager who guides but doesn’t micromanage
- Nottingham based, travelling once a week on average
- 10am to 4pm core hours, with flexible working
The Key Requirements:
- PhD educated in mechanical engineering or a similar discipline - or a first-class degree
- At least five years of industry experience
- Experience and knowledge of any kind of moving, reciprocating or rotating equipment
- An expert in at least one of the following: rotor dynamics, stress, non-linear vibration, thermomechanical behaviour, and rotational equipment/machinery
- A proven and confident communicator, with previous experience of coordinating projects
- MATLAB and CAD software competence
- Salary bracket, based on experience, from £38,883 to £47,722 - with clear pay scales and routes for progression
- Holiday Entitlement; 25 to 30 days leave, plus eight public holidays and five extra days between Christmas and New Year
- Flexible Working; work when it suits you best
- Exercise; access to sports and fitness facilities - for all ability levels - at the new £40 million sports complex
- Flexible working, special leave, and long-term carers leave
- Edenred Discount Scheme; shopping perks - 5% discount on supermarket and petrol shopping, and deals for family days out
- Health; services from the University Health Service, Counselling Service, and discount on private medical insurance
Apply for this Senior Mechanical Engineer vacancy to register your interest with Recart, an ISO 9001-accredited technical and engineering recruitment consultancy and Excellence in Customer Service winner at the 2017 Nottinghamshire East Midlands Chamber Business Awards.
- Mechanical Engineering