About the Role
We are currently looking for a Senior IT Project Manager to join the team here at Matalan Head Office. As a Senior IT Project Manager you will manage the delivery of major IT projects or multiple medium sized projects often involving multiple third parties; delivery by resources in multiple locations / countries; changes to multiple IT systems; the introduction, removal or modification to technical architecture; and significant business change.
- Provide sustained project delivery management and assurance across a broad range of application and infrastructure projects, including:
- Setting up the overarching project governance for each project; liaising with all parties to ensure that the defined processes are embedded and adhered to (including 3rd party due diligence; formulation of contracts; organisational structures and roles & responsibilities; stakeholder mapping; escalation paths; reporting and key meetings; communication strategy; planning; risks and issue management; deliverables definition & associated acceptance; change control process; etc.)
- Driving the planning process to develop high level plans for the whole project, and mid-level and detailed plans for each stage/work stream, identifying activities, tasks, dependencies and milestones
- Preparing project briefs and other project management documentation as and when required.
- Securing internal and external IT resources required for each project as and when required
- Managing and tracking of progress (across all teams involved) and budget from concept to closure against plan and take action to minimise slippage, reporting regularly to IT and/or business management as appropriate
- Proactively monitoring the adherence to the governance definition, and implementing improvements for areas of weakness.
- The review and approval of project deliverables on behalf of Matalan IT
- Sustained leadership and direction to both internal IT resources and external third parties on all project related activities
- Ensuring the transition and handover of projects into ongoing service and support is facilitated successfully.
- Provide sustained financial management and control of the project, including
- Formulating the initial budget and the regular re-estimation of forecast outturn
- Ensure efficient and effective use of capital expenditure whilst protecting time and quality
- Responsible for working with the wider IT teams and third parties to ensure that each project is delivered on time and to budget; formulating and managing mitigating actions through to closure of risks and issues with budget
- Purchase order and invoice administration and reconciliation
- Actively communicate and engage with stakeholders and senior users at all levels of the organisation up to CxO level where required
- Keep up to date with latest project management tools, trends and best practice to help drive innovation and efficiency within the internal IT project management team.
- Provide coaching and guidance to other team members
- Be committed to and demonstrate in your work; our core values of "think customer", "think family", "be real" and "be the best"
- Significant IT industry experience
- Suitable project / programme management experience including planning, reporting, budgetary and issue/risk management
- Business knowledge (retail sector)
- Project management tools and processes
- Strong knowledge across a variety of SDLC methodologies (e.g. waterfall and agile) and best practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to handle difficult or sensitive situations
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills both with internal stakeholders and 3rd party suppliers.
- Extensive, proven and successful track record demonstrating effective leadership and management of project teams as a senior project manager, with a focus on quality and results.
- The ability to motivate and manage matrix aligned resource
- Substantial experience managing IT 3rd party suppliers and partners both on and offshore
- Strong analysis and decision-making skills with keen attention to detail
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills with the ability to work proactively with minimal supervision
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
- Project Management
- Third Party Relationships