At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Sr. Global Medical Affairs Leader in Gaithersburg, MD you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. Global Medical Affairs is part of the Oncology Business Unit organization.
This role reports to the Global Medical Affairs Franchise Head of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Therapies, who reports to the VP Global Medical Affairs of Oncology, who reports to the EVP of the Oncology Business Unit, who reports to the CEO. Role works closely with the Head of EGFR Therapies as a role in the leadership of the medical strategy and plan for the brands and Therapeutic Area.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead the development and delivery of the Brand Medical Plan aligned to the Therapeutic Area Medical Strategy within the Oncology Lung Portfolio. Ensure that market insights are used to inform all product development and franchise strategy deliverables. Provide medical and scientific direction for the development of Tagrisso within Global Medical Affairs. Leverage relationships with external customers to ensure robust physician and patients insights are what drive successful product launches. Interface with internal and external stakeholders to enhance the scientific and clinical understanding of the brands in the therapeutic area.
- Advanced scientific degree (MD required)
- Accountable for the leadership of the Brand Specific Global Medical Affairs team, which are responsible for the delivery of:
- Brand or Therapeutic Area Medical Strategies and Medical Plans to support the launch of osimertinib (Tagrisso), developed to treat mutated Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor lung cancer)
- Medical Evidence Plans, to enable clinicians to understand, accept and where appropriate advocate the brand(s)
- Accountable for shaping the Target Product Profile on the basis of Medical Insights, provided by Opinion Leaders and commercial/ regional medical teams, on patient / prescriber needs and competitor Medical position
- To feed into the Therapeutic Area Global Blood Therapeutics and Global Product Team
- To enable the Global Product Team to shape Phase IIb and Phase III clinical trial design
- Accountable for engaging and cultivating relationships with leading global Opinion Leaders to gain: contribution/ participation in advisory boards, greater understanding of the therapeutic area and insights into unmet patient needs
- Accountable through the Core Medical Teams, for representing AstraZeneca at a variety of scientific and medical forums, to include, as appropriate: medical education forums, scientific roundtables, congresses, and symposia
- Responsible for the co-ordination of Medical Affairs activities, through the Core Medical Teams, including:
- Science Advisory boards
- Ensuring the alignment of the publication and medical evidence plans to the Medical Strategy and Medical plan
- Providing appropriate input into the Global External Scientific Research Operations team to support academic partnerships and scientific collaborations
- Responsible for working with the Medical Academy Director to deliver the content for a curriculum, based on the Medical Plan, designed for internal medical content and capabilities training across AstraZeneca
- Responsible for leading the initial development and ensuring the accuracy of medical promotional materials and communications prior to submission to Global Medical Quality Assurance for the final approval.
- Mandatory practical, working knowledge of Medical Affairs and Disease Area– Oncology Lung Cancer
- Demonstrated experience in developing medical strategies and plans
- Experience with Global Key Opinion Leader engagement
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.