Senior Financial Accountant - Barnet - Permanent
The Senior Financial Accountant will report to the Finance Manger Accountancy, Closing and Monitoring, supporting them in all aspects of their role and assisting in ensuring the financial statements of the authority are closed and other financial matters are delivered. Ideally we are seeking candidates with local government or public sector experience.
About Capita | Local Government
Capita's roots are in local government and, over the last three decades, we've evolved and changed alongside the changing needs of the sector. We have many close, long-standing relationships with local councils, supporting them in the challenges they face by delivering a variety of services - ranging from specific software tools to significant joint working on achieving tangible external outcomes. Barnet Council awarded Capita a 10-year contract to run the council's Customer and Support Group (CSG), including HR, finance, IT and estates, as well as outward-facing customer services (face to face customer contact, telephone call centre, and website) and the revenues and benefits service in 2013.
- To be a technical financial accounting resource for the Accountancy, Closing and Monitoring team assisting in ensuring the financial statements of the authority are closed down in a timely manner and all other related financial matters that the section is responsible for are delivered accurately and on time.
- To support the Finance Manager - Accountancy, Closing and Monitoring in all aspects of their role.
- To keep abreast of all technical accounting developments. Researching, interpreting and implementing the implications of new legislation, changes to accounting requirements, best practice and policy changes and disseminate to staff and front line managers as appropriate
- To liaise, where appropriate, with internal and external audit on any matters affecting the closedown of accounts, audit of accounts or anything else of a significant financial nature ensuring the Finance Manager - Accountancy, Closing and monitoring is aware of any discussions.
- Take responsibility for providing sound, pro-active and flexible financial advice and technical accounting support services to managers and business partners at all levels and ensure that effective and proactive support is available and provided at all times
- Ensure that comprehensive procedures are developed & maintained that are compliant with all Council policies, best practice and statutory requirements
- To contribute towards ensuring the service is delivered in line with relevant contractual performance indicators and commitments
- Facilitate training on budget and financial matters to both service managers and support staff, providing directly, where necessary and appropriate.
- Ensure that the analysis of income and expenditure meets the requirements of budget managers and is available for them to easily interpret and understand from Integra
- Carry out tasks within the closing of accounts and other corporate processes, ensuring timetables are met and supporting information standards are achieved
- Accurately complete and submit returns and grant claims in line with specified deadlines and compile requisite supporting information for external inspection as directed by the Finance Manager - Accountancy, Closure and Monitoring
- To assist in completing all period end processes, final account preparation, facilitation of budgeting and planning and internal and external reporting activities in accordance with required timescales and current accounting standards
Experience and qualifications required;Essential
- Qualified AAT or CCAB Part Qualified
- Experience of developing productive, meaningful, trusted and positive senior stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working on own initiative with limited supervision or direction.
- Extensive knowledge of financial IT systems.
- Ability to analyse, interpret, understand and disseminate complex and detailed technical and professional issues in an easy to understand way
- Commitment to maintain professional and ethical standards.
- Newly Qualified CCAB Accountant
- Participation in formal Continuing Professional Development.
- Post qualification experience.
- Public sector accounting and budgetary experience, sound knowledge of local government finance framework, accounting principles and standards, statutory requirements and relevant codes of practice.
- Projects involving innovation and the management of change.
- Use of Integra system and management and development of associated processes.
- Service area experience
- Experience of attending Member committees or other corporate/board meetings.
- Experience of deputising for more senior posts as and when required
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Listen | Create | Deliver
<img src="http://maps/api/staticmap?center=N111NP&zoom=14&size=200x200&maptype=roadmap&markers=N111NP&color:ORANGE|label:A|&sensor=false&key=AIzaSyA1avTFqfXs_sttGUBwjK6mTjic1Y-zg2I" align="left" />
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.