Tensator is recognised as the global leader of Queue Management solutions and the inventor of the world leading retractable belt barrier - the Tensabarrier®. As a result of our continued success an opportunity has arisen for a creative and innovative individual to join our product design team based at our Global Head Office in Milton Keynes.
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary design team, this role is responsible for the design, development and detailing of innovative new products from initial brief through to production and will report to the Group Head of Design.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, develop and detail new products from initial brief to production that meet clearly defined user opportunities.
- Work with site plans / surveys to create queue layout drawings for customer approval and installations.
- Manage the design and development process including liaison with external agencies / partners to ensure new products are delivered on time, on budget and right first time.
- Produce and evaluate functional prototypes as and when required.
- Create fully detailed, tested and profitable Solution Specifications for manufacturing. Typically this will include: 3D CAD models; fully dimensioned engineering production drawings (where applicable); Quality check engineering drawings; assembly drawings; BOMS; test data; Build/Test/Evaluation of prototypes; creation of renders for sales/customer approval.
- Facilitate and manage idea generating exercises that identify innovative solutions as part of the product development process.
- Continuously research and report on trends in all aspects of design relevant to Tensator.
- Continuously research and report on developments in new technology, materials and processes. Identify and implement any findings that give Tensator a competitive advantage.
- Evaluate competitor products.
- Support and maintain the Tensator NPD process.
- Maintain detailed and up to date project files as part of the Tensator NPD process.
- Work with and assist other Design / Engineering Team members when required
- Liaise with other company departments including Sales, Operations and Marketing when required, in the UK HQ and other Group offices.
- Control and release of production data.
KEY PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
- All projects must be delivered on time and on budget.
- Strive towards a right first time design philosophy.
- All product solutions must have a high degree functional quality.
- Design engineers must continuously deliver innovative product solutions.
- All products must support Tensator’s strategic aims.
- A good understanding of materials and manufacturing processes (including: sheet metal; plastic; injection moulding; machined components; 3D printing; casting).
PROFESSIONAL/VOCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS OR SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A good BA/BSc (Hons) Industrial Design degree or a qualification in a relevant Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of five years’ experience of developing new products.
- Experience of packaging electronics based products within designs.
- Specifying and sourcing of electronics products/components an advantage.
- Outstanding Solidworks experience (or similar CAD package).
- AutoCAD experience preferred.
- Abobe Creative Suite skills would be advantageous.
- Good PC skills (Microsoft Office, Google Apps).
- Ability to liaise with and influence customers, contractors and site engineers.
- Confident with the ability to communicate with people at all levels to enhance the reputation of the Department and protect the Company’s reputation at all times.
- Outstanding project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a demanding environment.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to seek out "best fit" solution.
- Critical attention to detail.
- Mature team player with good empathy characteristics.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines in a pressurized environment.
- Dynamic, positive and energetic.
We are offering a competitive salary + benefits. Please state your salary requirements when you apply.
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
- Engineering Drawings
- Product Design
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job