About the job
This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to develop their career. You will have the opportunity to contribute to shaping plans and launching new data platform programmes
The Data Warehouse is a MySQL/Linux based Data Store with data coming from a variety of sources including but not exclusively MySQL based.
As a developer within the Data Platform team you will be part of the process of extracting, transforming, consolidating the complex available datasets from a wide variety of sources into useable data sources within the data warehouse that the wider business can use to drive performance and improve productivity.
As a Senior Data Platform Developer you will...
- Be responsible for management of data infrastructure projects from start to finish; providing relevant plans, documentation and communication
- Be required to attend meetings with Senior Stakeholders independently and act as a representative for data platform team
- Code in SQL and approved scripting languages to the published development guidelines and coding standards
- Peer review code to ensure that it follows the team development guidelines and conforms to the coding standards
- Peer review documentation to ensure that sufficient information is available to enable problem resolution and provide on-going support
- Ensure consistency of output so that all live reporting maintains the "one version of the truth"
- Produce detailed specification documentation that can be used by business stakeholders to verify that their requirements will be met and by peers to provide accurate estimates of work required
- Design solutions for reporting output based on the requirements laid out in a specification
- Provide input in the design of project sized pieces of work
- Provide feedback to stakeholders and line management during all phases of work to a level that ensures progress can be monitored effectively
- Document all work to a standard that provides peers with sufficient information to review it effectively and provide on-going support
- Prepare materials for and deliver training to end users to support and enable effective use of all reporting
- Deliver timely and accurate solutions for approved ad hoc requests
- Log time spent working via approved mechanisms to enable effective reporting and management
- Provide accurate estimates of work to fulfil requirements in response to specification and design documentation, logged via approved mechanisms
To be able to succeed in this role, you must have the following skills and experience…
- Very strong experience of database development
- Very strong experience of SQL and stored procedures
- Experience of ETL processes, multi-dimensional modelling and data warehouse design
- Experience of MySQL
- Knowledge of relational database design and query tuning
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems and shell scripting bash, perl, python
- Strong data manipulation/transformation skills
- Ability to interpret raw data
Plusnet is a Yorkshire based ISP with a unique brand identity. It’s a fast paced environment yet our offices have a distinctly friendly and informal feel to them - we know that you can do great business without the suits. We believe in making a difference, team work and putting the customer first in everything that we do. It’s an approach that’s allowed us to keep delivering award winning products and services for nearly 21 years!
Whatever your career ambitions, Plusnet is committed to giving you the skills and support that you need in order to achieve your goals; whether it’s training and development or just a breather over a game of table tennis or pool!
Of course there’s lots of other reasons to work at Plusnet; we’ll support you through a wide range of "Plusnetter" perks including free staff broadband & phone packages, pension, bonus & shares scheme and numerous discounts on items such as cinema tickets, mobile tariffs, city parking, gym memberships and much more!