We are the UK's largest producer of official statistics in the UK. We are also the only government department with the production of statistics as its main role. We are independent of ministers and instead report through the UK Statistics Authority to Parliament and the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
At ONS we believe that people deserve the best support and are given the best opportunities. Career development is extremely important to us. This is a reflection on what a great organisation you will be joining and the culture that you will be part of. As well as career support you will also enjoy excellent civil service benefits, including flexible working and civil service pension plan.
Data Architecture (DA) is a new division within the Methods, Data and Research directorate of the Office for National Statistics (ONS). We have been tasked with the development of an innovative and high impact data strategy, underpinned by data policies and new future-proofed data architecture. The division is currently composed of a number of teams producing authoritative data forming the basis of ONS’s datasets. It is currently looking into building up a core team to design the structure and governance of all data in the organisation, starting with ONS’s current data holdings, and to define the policies and rules that apply to data throughout its lifecycle.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the team responsible for standardising how data is modelled and how it is described across ONS. The work produced by the Data Architecture division will specify how data is handled in the organisation, from how it is collected and stored, to how it is linked, combined and archived. The data strategy will be developed with your participation will be pivotal to the digital transformation of the office, and will influence not only the central development divisions but also the rest of the business, who will use it to store and access their business-as-usual data.
The Core Data Architecture team will be composed of a number of specialists who understand data structures, architecture principles and standards.
The team, led by the Head of Core Data Architecture will share the vision of the Data Architecture’s future with the Chief Data Architect. The Senior Data Architect will be a core member of the team taking shared responsibility on analysing existing data devising a plan to rationalise data encodings, structures and metadata. Additional responsibilities include the discovery of ONS’s current data processes and journeys, the design of a new streamlined set of processes and policies for the data inside the ONS, including how the data is stored, consumed, integrated and managed. The Senior Data Architect will do this by observing industry best practices and standards, and helping the Head of Core Data Architecture communicating with ONS’s stakeholders to best reflect user requirements.
• Work to the standards set for the organisation by the Chief Data Architect together with other members of the team
• Guide junior member of the team and advise them in day to day work
• Design data models and metadata systems as per business requirements.
• Support the division championing data architecture across the ONS
• Develop the data architecture supporting ONS’s full data life-cycle
You will need to demonstrate the following set of skills:
• Data Standards - Understands data standards across multiple subject areas and helps the project team make recommendations about how the organisation should implement them and resolve breaches.
• Metadata Management - Participate in the designs of a metadata repository and the migration of existing metadata repositories. Understands and employs a range of tools for storing and working with metadata. Provides advice to more inexperienced members of the team.
• Data modelling - Understands the concepts and principles of data modelling and is able to produce relevant data models across multiple subject areas. Reverse engineers data models from a live system. Understands industry recognised data modelling patterns and standards and when to apply them. Compares and aligns different data models.
• Data Analysis & Synthesis - Undertakes data profiling and source system analysis and can present clear insights to colleagues to support the end use of the data.
• Data Governance - Knows how to assure and integrate data services to meet the needs of multiple business services. Works proactively to ensure the organisation designs architecture that considers data.
• Strategic Thinking - Works within a strategic context and is able to set and carry out activities that meet strategic goals.
• Problem resolution - Ensures that the most appropriate actions are taken to resolve problems as they occur.
Don’t miss out on this fantastic opportunity to really understand ONS’ vision and how you can be part of our journey.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job