Senior Community Dietitian - Nutrition Support & Home Enteral Feeding
Based: Greater Manchester (covering Manchester City Council area)
Salary: £32-40K (pro rata for part time)
Benefits include 33 days' holidays, auto-enrolment pension scheme, mileage (paid at 30p per mile), staff discount scheme, employee assistance programme, flu vaccinations, paid volunteer day, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme & ongoing training / development opportunities.
Permanent Contract, full & part time / job share applications welcome.
Our Client is a privately owned community healthcare organisation supporting people in transforming their lifestyles through innovative wellbeing programmes. They work on behalf of councils and CCGs and are passionate about tackling health inequalities, providing everything from weight management, wellbeing, smoking cessation and ante-natal services to commercial OHS and education services.
They have grown substantially over the past year, and are now seeking the above to join their well-respected team of enthusiastic and friendly dietitians, dietetic assistants and administrative staff. This fulfilling role will allow the post holder to develop effective, therapeutic relationships with patients and their carers to make lasting, positive changes to their nutritional status.
You will provide clinical leadership to junior dietetic colleagues as well as holding a caseload of patients who require oral nutritional support and patients recieving home enteral feeding. You will also be highly involved with service development and professional training programmes for external partners.
- Planning and prioritising own caseload, providing dietetic assessment and treatment at a highly developed level.
- Providing high quality nutritional and dietetic advice, enabling patients to make informed choices about their health and related behaviours to agree an individualised patient-nutrition action / care plan.
- Making clinical decisions, liaising with community and hospital nutrition support dietitians and feed company as required.
- Contributing to clinical decisions regarding appropriateness of intensive nutritional treatments.
- Making clinical decisions concerning changes to patients' dietary intake and oral nutritional supplement prescriptions, communicating to other healthcare professionals as appropriate.
- Liaising with other health professionals regarding the transfer of patients from home to hospital and vice versa.
- Liaising with acute and out of area dietitians to facilitate safe transfer of patients and handover to the Community Dietetic team.
- Corresponding with clinicians and GPs regarding appropriate nutritional treatment plans, prescriptions and investigations following dietetic assessment.
- Liaising with the enteral feed company to facilitate the supply of appropriate feed and essential equipment to specified patients. Working closesly and collaboratively wtih nurses employed by the enteral feed company to further the care of home enterally fed patients.
- Providing specialist advise to GPs and other prescribers on the appropriate prescribing of nutritional supplements (including energy, protein, vitamin and mineral supplements) and medications to improve enteral feed tolerance, as well as advising on potential drug-nutrient interactions.
- Providing supervision and support to junior dietitians, dietetic assistants and other staff within the organisation.
- Continuing the development of training and teaching sessions for the identification, treatment and monitoring of malnutrition for health and community care staff.
- Establishing links with Dietitians in other trusts to promote sharing of good practice. Attend and participate in Community Dietetic Team meetings.
- Working within the framework of Clinical Governance to maintain and improve patient care, quality and efficiency.
Suitable applicants will possess:-
- Education to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject area, with post qualification experience. Some experience working as a Dietitian within the community would be desirable, also any experience working in an MDT setting.
- A teaching certificate or health education certificate would be an advantage, as would any experience conducting patient and other health professional group education.
- Registration with the HCPC and membership of the British Dietetic Association.
- Experience of undertaking new patient assessment and treatment
- Previous involvement with patients who are enterally fed, and a good working knowledge of enteral feeding systems.
- Up to date clinical knowledge of nutrition support and enteral feeding based on current dietetic best practice guidance.
- In-depth knowledge of prescribable oral nutritional supplements, enteral feeds and other dietetic products. Sound understanding of mediations and drug nutrient interactions.
- Able to provide supervision and guidance to less experienced dietetic staff.
- Effective active listening and communication skills, and a caring and compassionate nature.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload and clinical caseload, cope with unpredictable workload patterns and remain calm under pressure.
- Driving licence and own vehicle, to travel independently across Manchester City Council area.
- Good basic IT literacy.
The full time hours of work for this role are 40 per week Monday to Friday, core hours being 8.30am-5.00pm. However some flexibility on this is available and expected in return. Part time & jobshare applications are also welcome. Please note that this role will also be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Interested? Please send your CV using the link provided. Candidates who meet the criteria will be contacted in confidence for further discussion.