Alfred H Knight International (Prescot, Knowsley)
Independent Commodity Surveyors, Analysts & Consultants
The Alfred H Knight Group is one of the worlds leading independent superintendent, analysts and technical consultants, with operations in over 30 countries, providing analytical services to the metals and minerals industry in the analysis of metalliferous commodities.
If you are an accomplished classical inorganic 'wet’ chemist with expertise related to the management of chemists and practical experience in the analysis of metalliferous commodities associated with the worlds commodity market - we are now offering this valuable opportunity to develop your career at our new laboratory premises situated in the North West.
The post will require the candidate to have at least 3 years practical experience in this particular field of analytical chemistry, preferably related to the metallurgical commodity sector.
The ideal candidate would be expected to demonstrate: -
- Academic qualifications: HNC, BSc or MSc Chemistry degree (in-organic chemistry)
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in a commercial laboratory environment
- Demonstrate a good practical understanding, knowledge and experience of classical in-organic titrimetric procedures; complexometric titration with edta (Pb, Zn, Ca), iodometric titration with sodium thiosulphate (Cu), iodimetric redox titration with potassium iodate/potassium iodide (Sn), redox titration procedures: Cr, Fe, Mn, Sb, Co & V
- A good practical understanding in the elemental determination of metalliferous commodities by classical techniques such as acid digestion, alkaline fusion, gravimetry, flame atomic absorption spectroscopy, inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy, ISE, UV/Vis. Experience in the analysis of carbon and sulphur by combustion infra-red.
- Experience in precious metals prill processing and precious metal analysis, including fire assay.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of laboratory performance monitoring and QC control
- Demonstrate experience of working within the requirements of ISO 17025:2005 accreditation systems
One of the primary considerations of the role is the successful candidate must command good interpersonal skills, with an enabling approach to teamwork, and leadership, being sufficiently skilled at the outset to support the laboratory team in a technical 'troubleshooting’ capacity with respects to the analytical techniques identified above.
You will be expected to work within a strong management team, to continue to deliver excellent performance during a major period of staff development and growth, ultimately supporting Management on all technical /laboratory matters in pursuit of AHK’s overall analytical services.
Salary will be considered subject to technical knowledge, practical expertise, and laboratory experience capabilities.
Please state salary expectation when submitting CV
Hours of work Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5pm with one hour for lunch. Bonus at Christmas usually 2-4 weeks extra salary. 25 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays. Contributory Pension Scheme employer 5% employee 4%. Life Assurance 4 x annual salary and free car parking.