We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated expert in cancer nursing within oncology services.
This role will ensure the highest possible quality of care is delivered, exceeding the expectations of the individual patients and their carers who choose to be treated at one of the most prestigious independent centres.
An expert in cancer care the post holder will be able to adapt to the differing needs of the patients within the medical and clinical oncology departments.
Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package and excellent Continued Professional Development
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide specialist nursing advice and support to patients, their families and other healthcare professionals following diagnosis and through all stages of treatment
- Ensure continuity of a high standard of evidence-based nursing care for patients undergoing chemotherapy, assessing health, health related and nursing needs of patients, their families and other carers by identifying and initiating appropriate steps for effective care. This will include:
o managing a patient caseload
o close liaison with Medical Consultants
o ordering diagnostic tests within agreed parameters
o running nurse led clinics
- Ensure all patients have an accurate plan of care, reflecting the assessment undertaken and incorporating issues and recommendations.
- Ensuring accurate and timely documentation.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills in intravenous access, the management of central venous catheters, venepuncture, and chemotherapy/immunotherapy delivery, including the management of anaphylaxis and extravasation.
- Deliver intermediate life support in order to facilitate rapid stabilisation and the appropriate on going management of patients who develop acute treatment complications.
- Ensure good communication with peers, patients and those referring in to the service.
- Ensure all care is given in accordance with agreed protocols.
- Work in line with and contribute to local delivery of national care standards.
- Comply with measures to actively manage and reduce risk to patients. Ensuring the formal reporting and recording of adverse incidents.
- Maintain contemporaneous and accurate treatment records, submitting relevant statistics, reports and activity data as requested. Ensure that confidentiality of information is adhered to and NMC standards for 'Record Keeping’ are met.
- Ensure all patients are fully informed of the risks and benefits of proposed procedures/ treatments, contributing to the process of securing informed consent.
- Provide all patients with relevant and accessible written information regarding their treatment.
- Promote and facilitate evidence based practice and clinical audit within the chemotherapy service.
- Promote nursing research and evidenced based practice.
- Maintain your own continuing personal and professional development in accordance with requirements, expectations and business objectives.
- Adhere to the NMC code of professional conduct working within and accepting responsibility for maintaining agreed levels of competence.
- Be aware of the close working relationship with partnership hospitals and third parties and the requirement to comply with their company local rules and policies all times.
- Work out of hours in order to ensure that breakdowns or crises are resolved with minimum impact to service and treatments from time to time.
- Adhere to company standards in respect of appearance, behaviour and demeanour.
- The Chemotherapy nurse must have also undertaken the training on using the Oncology/Haematology 24-hour triage rapid assessment and access toolkit - this training will be held in-house at the Centre
Adhere to all Clinic policies and procedures relating to infection control and take responsibility in updating own knowledge in infection control issues.
Person Specification - Essential Requirements
The post holder will adhere to the NMC Code of Professional Conduct at all times and exercise his/her professional skills in a manner congruent with the NMC's position statement on the Scope of Professional Practice.
Qualifications and Registration
- Registered General Nurse
- Post registration course within this specialist field
- ILS certification
Experience and Competencies
- Care and maintenance of CVCs including Portacaths, management of PICC lines and complications
- Administration of cytotoxic medication and immunotherapy
- Male & female catheterisation
- Peripheral venous cannulation, venepuncture, recognising and treating extravasations
- Oncology Nursing
- Quality Patient Care
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'