Senior Chemist (Adhesives) c£40-46k + Bonus +Benefits
A senior chemist is urgently required to work closely with Business Development and R&D teams to help drive the development of new technology platforms, deliver research & development programs and support the introduction of new prototypes and products to customers.
You will take responsibility for technical customer support for the adhesives business and work closely with commercial team (e.g. Product Manager) to develop effective working relationships with new & existing customers to leverage technologies around adhesives.
- To plan, manage and execute long term development and technical support activities according to the plan for the Formulated Materials Development department, including work for the Global businesses and their customers and work identified by the Business Development function within R&D.
- To develop and evaluate new products for new and existing applications, to bring them to market speedily and effectively, and to be responsible for the provision of formulations and manage the scaling up of new products.
- To ensure that all assigned work is delivered in a timely manner and all associated requirements, objectives and targets are fully met.
- To maintain a good understanding of potential IP and legislative implications of work carried out by the Formulated Materials Development team, and be able to either lead individual patent applications or manage internal work to challenge competitor’s patents.
- To ensure good communication with and appropriate involvement of other R&D functions, such as the Polymer Development and Technical Service teams, as well as the commercial teams. This includes using the R&D job request systems, ensuring appropriate reporting in line with the R&D ISO9000 manual and effectively leading global cross-functional technology teams as and when required.
- To liaise with plant personnel and provide technical support and assistance as required in order to resolve production and quality issues and in support of new products.
- To liaise with customers, suppliers, trade associations etc., to maintain knowledge and understanding of the field, to keep the rest of the company abreast of such technology and to represent the company technically.
- To proactively support the Formulated Materials Development Manager in the management and development of the department and to deputise for the Formulated Materials Development Manager as and when required.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Degree or equivalent qualification incorporating aspects of Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science or a related subject OR extensive experience in a R&D environment, preferably in the polymer, surface coatings, adhesive or composite materials field.
- At least 5 years significant experience with developing new and modified formulated products such as adhesives, gelcoats, or composites.
- Experience of scaling up new product development into a manufacturing plant
- Experience of market driven product development, proven experience of understanding customer needs and a strong technical pedigree to translate ideas into products in the additives field.
- Knowledge of new product development and the management of associated IP and legislative processes.
- Experience in areas regarding HSE & Quality management within a department.
- Awareness of Industrial Regulatory Obligations.
- Experience of stage-gate management
They offer an attractive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience as well as associated benefits, including Bonus and Pension Scheme.
To Apply: Please contact Alison Basson quoting AB/J3486 on
- Polymer Science