Brewster Pratap are working exclusively on a project to relocate a finance function to central Leeds. This is a rare opportunity to join a successful business and a fabulous employer at an exciting stage of their growth.
Capsticks work for over 250 healthcare clients and over 150 social housing clients nationally and have over 230 fee earners across 4 UK offices. They have a very strong people strategy, creating a positive team culture and treating every employee as an individual. They benefit from a very low level of staff turnover, a large number of long servers and can offer a strong employer proposition that has been summarised below.
This relocation is a critical and exciting challenge for our client. They are committed to recruiting and developing a "best in class" finance team, to benefit the whole firm and provide long term opportunities for all of the successful candidates.
The requirements of a senior biller are to ensure we adopt efficient billing practices to meet the needs of our clients. Our billing processes have evolved over time to incorporate the requirements of various public sector organisations and as a result our systems have been moulded to meet these needs. The first objective of the senior biller will be to understand the current billing approaches and to adopt these to ensure there is no disruption to the billing process as the Finance function is relocated. Thereafter we would look to make significant changes to our billing processes utilising the many options available within our new PMS. The senior biller will be at the forefront of these changes.
Our clients are looking to streamline the overall invoice management process with many adopting a "no PO - no pay" approach. It is essential that our systems can satisfactorily identify these and other requirements of our clients to ensure a smooth road to payment. To facilitate these changers our billing processes require a complete review in order to keep pace with our competitors and to assist clients to become more efficient at processing invoices.
The role will be a varied one covering several aspects of the day to day running of a busy law firm including:
- managing the generation draft bills as necessary at the start of the month and on an ad hoc basis;
- ensuring the auto billing process runs correctly and any rejections or exceptions are dealt with appropriately;
- liaising with partners and fee earners to ensure the correct charge rates are allocated to the clients / matters and advising on suitability of charge structures;
- managing discounts and rebates due to clients, liaising with the fee earners or partners to agree the amounts and then the cashiers to ensure it is paid electronically and promptly;
- ensuring fixed fee matters are appropriately identified on the system and billed at the earliest opportunity;
- ensuring time write-offs are authorised and promptly effected;
- ensuring disbursements that need to be written off are similarly authorised;
- enquiring of matter supervisors (partners and senior fee earners) with regards to old WIP and old disbursements or expenses;
- proactively managing the billing process throughout the month to minimise WIP balances;
- liaising with cashiers and credit control in relation to payment queries;
- producing relevant reporting for fee earners, partners and clients showing levels of billings appropriately analysed as required;
- liaising with client accounts payable as necessary;
- raising credit notes as required;
- ensuring VAT rules are correctly interpreted and applied by the billing team;
- liaising with the Control function to ensure matters correctly set-up and billed on time;
- escalating any matters that may hinder the billing process;
- providing analyses as required from time to time.
Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Financial Controller or Finance Director.
As part of our approach in developing staff there will be opportunities to experience other areas of work within the Finance function, shadowing staff in related areas and covering for holiday and other absences.
The introduction of the new PMS will allow for greater automation of the overall billing process and all billers will be expected to input into the process of designing efficient systems.
At month end or year end there may be a need to work beyond the standard hours and billers will be expected to arrange matters to accommodate this need.The person
The successful applicant will be computer literate with a good knowledge of the Elite accounting system and be fully conversant with the Solicitors' Accounts Rules and in dealing with VAT.
Candidates should ideally have:
- a minimum of 2 years' experience working in the finance department of a law firm;
- experience of managing staff to deliver to tight deadlines ;
- the ability to work under pressure;
- knowledge of e-billing systems;
- strong administration and organisational skills;
- capable of motivating a small team to deliver consistent quality results;
- the ability to communicate professionally at all levels within the firm;
- the ability to identify opportunities to streamline processes and to identify control weaknesses and suggest solutions;
- the ability to work calmly under pressure; and
- excellent attention to detail.
- salary that has been benchmarked to attract the best
- competitive benefits package
- 25 days holidays, rising to 27 on service
- various development opportunities
PLEASE NOTE ALL THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE SENT DIRECTLY TO BREWSTER PRATAP
Brewster Pratap Recruitment Group focuses on the recruitment of talent in South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. If you are interested in discussing this job in more detail or any other aspect of recruitment and talent identification we would really like to hear from you. Please visit our website at www.brewsterpratap.co.uk for more information on Jobs or Recruitment.
- Billings clerk
- senior billings clerk