Role Title: Big Data Engineer
At Vodafone Group we build connections to all our Global operations, acting as an advisory board to drive consistency and customer excellence across 30 countries and for over 420 million customers. We are constantly uncovering tactics to innovate the way we operate, set our global standards or lead our strategic performance. By joining Vodafone Group, you will be part of evolving our digital world of total communications. Now is the time to get on board.
As we evolve into a truly digital company, Vodafone Group Technology spans across the entire Vodafone footprint and drives our technology advancements, to enable us to be the best and most secure in unified communications. We empower our consumer and enterprise customers to be confidently and securely connected. Our unique capabilities create the best voice and data to our customers and continue our advancement in the Internet of Things (IOT), BIG Data, Cybersecurity, Cloud & Hosting, TV and Video. We’re heading to an exciting future – fancy being part of our Vodafone Gigabit growth?
Within Vodafone Group Big Data operations, we help our customers to gain greater insight into challenging strategic and tactical issues like workforce productivity, footfall and migration patterns, and privacy by converting raw data from the Vodafone network into meaningful insight. We aim to drive more efficient and effective working practices internally, but first and foremost, we aspire to generate additional value for our customers through our business intelligence services and contextual awareness. Joining as one of our Big Data Engineers now has never been a better time to be part of our success.
As a Big Data Engineer you will be responsible for designing and producing high performing stable end-to-end applications to perform complex processing of batch and real-time data in a multi-tenancy Hadoop environment.
You will also design and implement core platform capabilities, tools, processes, ways of working under agile development to support the integration of local markets data sourcing and use cases implementation.
• Integrate the necessary data from several sources in the Big Data Programme necessary for analysis and for commercial actions;
• Build applications that make use of large volumes of data and generate outputs that allow commercial actions that generate incremental value
• Deliver and implement core capabilities (frameworks, platform, development infrastructure, documentation, guidelines and support) to speed up the Local Markets delivery in the Big Data Programme, assuring quality, performance and alignment to the Group technology blueprint of components releases in the platform
• Support local markets and Group functions in obtaining benefiting business value from the operational data.
You will have expert level experience in designing, building and managing applications to process large amounts of data in a Hadoop ecosystem; performance tuning applications on Hadoop and configuring Hadoop systems; as well as experience building systems to perform real-time data processing using Spark Streaming and Kafka, or similar technologies.
• Expert level experience with Hadoop ecosystem (Spark, Hive/Impala, HBase, Yarn)
• Strong software development experience in Scala and Python programing languages
• Experience with Unix-based systems, including bash programming
• Experience with columnar data formats.
• Experience with other distributed technologies such as Cassandra, Solr/ElasticSearch, Flink, Flume
• Experience in other functional languages.
What is the key to our success? It’s simple – our people. Across a Global footprint, we believe we’re at our best when you’re at yours. From our diverse workforce, our flexible working policies to our creative work spaces, we embrace a culture of learning and sharing to develop our next stage growth. It’s in our hearts to push forward, to create a better future, to never rest and find new ways that help people communicate.
We are committed to developing the very best people by offering a flexible, motivating and inclusive workplace in which talent is truly recognised and rewarded. We respect, value and celebrate our people’s individual differences - we are not only multinational but multicultural too. Our excellent flexible benefits programme allows you to choose what’s right for you. Our Vodafone Foundation gives the ability for our people to give something back. We embrace empowering our people to shape their world. That’s what we mean when we say Power to you.
To discover more about how Vodafone Group leads the way in Diversity & Inclusion and hear our CEO Vittorio Colao talk about how he is listed as one of the top 10 men fighting for gender diversity, please click here .
Please advise if you require any alterations or adjustments to support you through our recruitment process. If so please contact us at