POSITION: Senior Audit Manager
DEPARTMENT: Internal Audit
REPORTING TO: Group Head of Internal Audit
Main Purpose of Role:
The Senior Internal Audit Manager will work with the Group Head of Internal Audit to provide an independent and objective assurance and consultancy service to positively assist the business to achieve its strategy, objectives and activities.
The role is based in Chatham, Kent with approximately a 10% requirement for travel to the subsidiaries (London, South East England and India).
The internal audit team plays a central role in achieving the Group’s ambitious growth plans, and the successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to help develop the internal audit capabilities, making a significant contribution to a dynamic business, working with all parts of the organisation and exposure to all levels of management from Board Committee downwards.
- Managing the annual risk assessment and developing the risk-based group audit plan
- Planning, executing and completing audits within specified timeframes and in line with IIA standards and group methodology.
- Working with business stakeholders on a constructive basis in order to develop practical, innovative and value-adding solutions to audit issues identified.
- Ensuring internal audit reports are impactful, balanced and address the root cause of issues.
- Managing co-source relationship as necessary
- Establishing strong work relationships with management and other controls groups (Risk, Compliance, Legal)
- Performing follow-up work ensuring management progress actions within the agreed time scales and escalating failure to progress actions to the Group Head of Internal Audit as appropriate.
- Attending and contributing to the Audit Committee when required and other permanent or ad-hoc governance forums
- Contribute to the development of the internal audit framework, including improving the existing methodology and reporting
- Design and prepare the internal audit manual, processes and procedure documents
- Maintain the company’s compliance standards and own compliance training
Key Behavioural Skills
- Communication: strong presentation, relationship management and persuasion skills. The individual must be an articulate and effective communicator both orally and in writing, in a concise, effective and efficient manner across all grades
- Motivation and change positive, 'can do’ attitude with the ability to initiate change and make it happen
- Organisation; demonstrable ability to plan and prioritise workload in order to meet established deadlines; actively keeping Group HIA advised of status of on-going audits and ability to work under pressure
- Execution: rigorous attention to detail and an analytical approach to process, but more importantly a pragmatic and business focused approach
- Enthusiastic and curious and keen to understand and challenge the current control environment in a constructive, balanced manner
- Demonstrable knowledge of the CIIA standards is essential
- Proficient in risk-based control analysis and audit concepts for a wide range of products and functions, and be skilled at analysing root causes of problems and theme issue are essential
- Thorough understanding of the UK regulatory environment which the firm and its subsidiaries operates in is essential
- Working knowledge, management and working experience of regulatory and third-party assessment of internal audit departments and regulatory relationship management is desirable.
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications, particularly PowerPoint is essential
- Experience with audit software is desirable
- Broad understanding of the market that the firm operates in, or knowledge of core mortgage, savings and other related products and the risks associated with these is desirable
- 5-10 years post-qualification experience in conducting business process audits and producing internal audit reports is essential
- Background in one speciality (credit risk, IT, liquidity risk, financial controls, fraud) is essential
- Exposure to moving to an IRB (Internal Rating Based) approach highly desirable
- Experience in data analytics desirable
- Exposure to the FCA and PRA is desirable
- Degree is essential (business degree desirable - accountancy, business, economics etc)
- Qualified professional membership of an accountancy or internal audit body (for example, ACA, ACCA, CIIA) is desirable.
- GSCE/GCE qualifications in both maths and English are essential
- Credit Risk
- Internal Audit
- Retail Banking
- Risk Management