To provide technical expertise in the identification of asset specific needs and early solutions, while assuring adherence to defined asset policies and standards; the role may be required to work unsociable hours.
Day to day:
- To manage the identification and evaluation of highway asset specific needs in order to develop future maintenance and improvement requirements.
- To monitor the delivery of the maintenance strategy and inspections regime, liaising with the relevant Service Delivery colleagues to discuss and/or rectify issues.
- To ensure that roads asset data and condition information is captured and maintained in the relevant database(s), in line with agreed standards and timescales.
- To analyse asset data and develop renewal plans, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria.
- To identify and manage survey works to support the improvement and/or renewal of highway assets.
- To collaborate with Asset Engineering colleagues and Route Managers to ensure highway needs are considered and incorporated into the forward programme.
- To support the development of early solutions for improvements and/or renewals, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for Value Management, taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
- To support the development of technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractor for improvement and renewals work.
- To provide technical input and support to Project Managers by providing materials approvals, vetting of contractors' compliance, inspection support on site, and reviewing of Health and Safety Files.
- To support technical reviews of third party designs to ensure that they comply with standards, design briefs and Design for Maintenance Requirements.
- To support the professional development of more junior team members.
- To ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
Must have asset management or design experience in the highways or similar infrastructure sector and be proficient in one, or more of the following disciplines:
- Structures (bridges and large culverts)
- Highway drainage
- Vehicle restraint systems
- Highway improvement (geometry)
- Good understanding of the work of the department and directorate
- Thorough understanding of the relevant departmental and company-wide procedures, policies and guidelines
- Strong understanding of relevant technical asset policies and strategies
- Asset management decision making (capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service & availability optimisation, social & economic knowledge)
- Strong knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
- Knowledge of DMRB standards and their application on the highways network
- Understanding of the Value Management process or cost benefit analysis of schemes
- Experience in roads infrastructure design (drainage, pavements, VRS, signs, lighting, markings etc)
- Experience in AutoCAD desirable
- Experience in whole life cost analysis desirable
- Experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development