Bodycote operate an international network of facilities serving a wide range of industries including, aerospace, defence, automotive, power generation, oil and gas, construction, machine building medical and transportation. Bodycote is the world’s largest and most respected provider of thermal processing services and a vital link in the manufacturing supply chain.
Bodycote has over 5,700 people globally, in 26 countries spread over 190 locations. We recognise that the success of our business depends upon the skills, commitment and loyalty of our people. We strive to offer a working environment where these attributes are rewarded and valued.
We are looking to recruit a Senior Application Engineer to use the resources available, along with own process knowledge and experience, to support the production process in all areas required to maximise productivity.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Application Engineering Manager in guiding/developing the new and less experienced members of the department.
- Assuming leadership and responsibility for the department in the Application Engineering Manager’s absence.
- Maintaining high levels of adherence to company policy, procedures and standards for yourself and your subordinates through appropriate authority and influence. Where necessary, working with the Application Engineering Manager to carry out departmental procedures, including but not limited to disciplinary action.
- Managing tooling design, development and registering within the department. Where appropriate, tooling registering should include the development and maintenance of a tooling catalogue for access by non-engineering department staff.
- To accept responsibility for the process development of new applications and production parts (this will involve working closely with customers and sales team from enquiry stage through to production, to delivery of components).
- Develop and use own expertise in robotic programming and an in depth coating knowledge through shop floor experience and training. Use this understanding to develop production routes for new parts, make process improvements on existing applications and identify and resolve processing problems that may arise.
- Produce process documentation as it develops, to ensure that process instructions are clear, accurate and updated.
- Be part of a larger team, utilising the experience of the coating technicians to enable process refinements to be made (this will involve maintaining dialog with shop floor personnel to identify processing difficulties they experience and to provide an effective solution to their concerns).
- You will be competent in the key aspects of the coating technician and production assistants role i.e. select & monitor process parameters, setting up loading and unloading of parts, preparing appropriate tooling & masking, degreasing and masking techniques and surface activation.
- Take responsibility for inspection and control of the first production parts processed, up to the point where the process route has been established and handed over to production.
- Ensuring that all aspects of work are documented to enable production to control the subsequent processing of parts thereafter i.e. drawings, process routes, tooling information and suppliers consumable reorder details.
- Develop and in depth process knowledge that will enable you to troubleshoot process problems (this may involve visiting customers to hold technical discussions and provide technical services on existing and new applications).
- Accept commercial responsibilities in relation to projects with respect to tooling costs, process times and material consumption (this aspect of the role will be important in assisting the sales department to set a commercially viable sales price).
- Good housekeeping of own work area and contribute to the general upkeep of the working environment.
- Become familiar with the "check-work-check" process and be committed to a "right first time" approach to all tasks carried out.
- Operate in a safe manner and undertake any training necessary to enable you to fulfil the requirements of your position.
- To uphold your statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions.
- To enable the company to meet its own legal duties and to report any hazardous situations or defective equipment.
- Wear personal protective equipment provided by the company.
- Ensure a high level of communication to employees, managers & colleagues.
The above responsibilities cover the main areas of the post. The priorities and particular emphasis of the post may change to reflect the needs of Bodycote Surface Technology Ltd. In addition to these normal duties, as Bodycote Surface Technology Ltd. is a flexible organisation, other duties may be assigned to you to support the production operation.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Ability to program robots and experience of Solid Works.
- Desirable to have experience of Thermal Spray Processes although training will be provided.
- Graduate Engineer 5 - 10 years Industry Experience ideally in an approval controlled environment such as - Aerospace, Oil & Gas.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
If you can demonstrate you have the above requirements then why not apply for this great opportunity and develop your careerat Bodycote. All internal applicants should inform their current line manager of their application. The closing date for applications is 7th of January 2018.
Please Note - If you have not heard from us within two weeks your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion, we will keep your CV on file and should anything come up that matches your experience we will contact you. Good luck in your job search.