I am recruiting for a Senior Play Specialist to work within a fantastic organisation who puts childrens experiences and development at the heart of everything they do.
Starting Salary: £19,000
Hours of work: 35 hours per week Monday to Friday with weekend work and some evenings
Annual leave: 20 days plus 8 statutory bank/public holidays and 3 days during the organisations
shutdown period between Christmas and New Year.
Overall purpose of the role:
Coordinate/ Facilitate and deliver a fun, safe and positive environment throughout the Activity Programme.
Line manage a team of Activity Play Specialists to broaden every child and young person's range of
experience through recreational activities and skill development whilst ensuring safeguarding measures
and other legislative criteria are adhered to. Enhance children and young people's self-esteem and
confidence through their experiences at the setting.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To line manage a team of Activity Play Specialists undertaking regular appraisals and setting objectives to ensure the delivery of safe, creative and appropriate activity programme for a range of children and young people with varying needs.
- To prepare activities, organising programmes/themes and arranging equipment.
- To ensure that all activities are inclusive for all children to participate in.
- To ensure that the children and young people are supervised at all times by teachers, parents or carers.
- To develop specific activities, areas and themes as directed by the Activity Programme Manager.
- To encourage the children and young people to input into the proposed activities; encouraging feedback at the end of each stay.
- To consult with the carers, parents or teachers to input into the proposed activities; encouraging feedback and evaluation at the end of each stay.
- To have flexibility of attitude to adapt and evolve activity to meet the needs of the individual or situation.
- To be aware of the differing needs of the varied children and young people who attend the setting and to structure work in accordance with ability.
- To share good practice across the Crew and positively contribute to debrief and evaluation of the Activity Programme.
- To work closely with the Crew to identify opportunities for promotion of the Activity Programme to a diverse user group.
- To support and direct volunteers as required to support the effective delivery of the Activity Programme.
To inform the Activities Programme Manager of issues and problems as they arise, together with recommendations to mitigate risk.
- To provide cover for absent staff as appropriate and reasonable.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- To maintain quality systems, procedures and standards at all times in line with internal and external requirements.
- To provide information and reports as directed by the Activity Programme Manager.
- To take responsibility for your own learning and use experience gained 'on the job' to improve skills and processes.
- To undertake continuous professional development, including short courses and qualifications relevant to the role.
- To work closely with other departments to identify and implement efficiencies, potential for cross team working opportunities and ensure an integrated approach to activity.
- To attend regular team and organisation meetings.
- To maintain existing relationships held by the charity and nurture as required.
- To understand our obligations under the Data Protection Act, General Data Protection Regulation and act in accordance with legislation.
- To promote the activities of the setting by measured marketing, publicity,
promotions, drives or events.
- To keep abreast of developments within the sector to identify opportunities and trends.
- To work with the H&S functions and ensure that all activity is managed safely and in line with health and safety policies and good practice.
- To respect confidentiality of all information obtained whilst working for the setting.
- Such other duties as may be required from time to time on behalf of the setting
- To consistently demonstrate the settings core values and display at all times
personal standards that portray and maintain the settings profile and image.
- NVQ Level 3 Play work or equivalent relevant professional experience with children (E)
- Degree in child care or other related qualification (D)
If you are interested in this role please apply asap as we are looking to appoint early feb 2017
All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references