ZSL London Zoo is recruiting for a Visitor Activities Host who will be responsible for engaging with guests & visitors through the delivery of talks, tours, and activities on site.
Position: Seasonal Visitor Activities Host
Hours: Seasonal, various hours
Salary: £11.01 per hour plus responsibility allowances for out-of-hours work
Enhancements: Additional Responsibility Allowance, London Weighting, Weekend Enhancement
Location: ZSL London Zoo, NW1 4RY
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering - working for wildlife.
You will be primarily posted to either work within the Visitor Activities team in presenting the daily talks and activities on site day-to-day, or within the Experiences team hosting our exclusive experiences such as the ZSL London Zoo Lodge overnight experience and the Junior Keeper for a Day experience. Candidates may choose which team they would prefer and specify this on their application. Please note that this would not restrict you to work within the team and you may be asked to move across the teams depending on the needs of the site.
The postholder will ensure the health, safety and comfort of guests throughout their Zoo experience whilst endeavouring to go above and beyond to ensure that they have a fantastic time. This is a once in a lifetime experience for visitors to connect with ZSL’s charitable work. We are looking for candidates that are passionate about wildlife and engaging with people about our mission. You will receive full support to learn new material.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome guests/visitors and create a safe, relaxed and fun environment.
- Entertain and engage guests with animal talks, tours, experiences and activities around the Zoo.
- Serve refreshments and support the restaurant staff with Front of House requirements if needed during experiences.
- Be the first point of call for overseeing any guest issues i.e. late comers, complaints etc.
- Maintaining spaces and resources - updating/repairing/replacing resources
- Ensure the health, safety, and security of visitors.
- Ensuring animal welfare by observing the behaviour, health, and security of animals and reporting any problems.
- Stewarding animal exhibits by engaging with visitors whilst ensuring the health and safety of animals and visitors.
- Assist with the set-up of events and experiences
- Be supportive of providing a positive visitor experience by answering questions in a friendly and helpful manner, ensuring that visitors leave with a good impression of ZSL.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with various teams across site, particularly with the animal teams.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject or able to demonstrate equivalent critical skills based on experience (i.e., science, performance, animal welfare, conservation, etc)
- Experience in delivering formal/informal talks
- Experience working with children or young people in either a formal or informal environment is essential.
- Experience in delivering excellent customer service
- Skills and knowledge specific to natural history and animal husbandry are desirable
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- A full UK driving licence is an advantage
The postholder may be required to work shifts that include early mornings, late evenings, and overnights. They will also be required to work weekends and bank holidays and therefore, flexibility is essential.
A DBS check is required prior to the commencement of the post.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Thursday 27 February 2020
Interview Date: 6th March 2020
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the Visit Website button. You will be directed to our website to download the job description and complete the online application process.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.
- Customer Service