Science Category Manager
Salary £28,000 - £32,000 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
CEH is a world-class scientific research organisation focusing on a wide range of topics related to the environment, biodiversity, freshwater and terrestrial ecosystems. Our independent, impartial science underpins UK and international environmental policies and innovation for sustainable economic growth.
The Centre for Ecology and Hydrology are seeking a Science Category Manager to support the Procurement Manager to develop a greenfield procurement function with a particular focus on developing processes, policies and tools for scientific research.
About the role
You should have a good understanding of procurement within the sciences, research or engineering as well as proven success in stakeholder engagement.
As the role develops the applicant will act as the lead for all scientific categories, lead working groups and manage suppliers and internal stakeholders whilst identifying efficiency and value for money opportunities.
This role would suit somebody who is looking for the next step in their career and wishes to become an expert in scientific procurement.
Responsibilities of the role:
- act as the lead for all scientific categories including laboratory consumables, chemicals, molecular biology, biological services, high value laboratory equipment, service and maintenance contracts and digital contractors
- chair scientific procurement working groups, establish pipelines with end-users and collate common issues
- sell the procurement process throughout the science community, including the use of electronic sourcing and data management
- manage approved suppliers to ensure efficiency and value for money targets are being reached, including eCatalogues
- take a lead role in supplier meeting and negotiations on behalf of the science community
- authoritative and market expert on scientific equipment and supplies.
You should be CIPS qualified or willing to work towards this, with procurement skills and knowledge in a scientific or engineering sphere.
It is essential that you have strong communication, negotiation and contract writing skills as well as being self-motivated and results driven so you can manage a portfolio of workloads and meet deadlines.
You must have proven experience of negotiation in an end-to-end category management or buying role, so that you can work effectively on your own or as part of a team.
What we offer
NERC offer a public sector pension scheme, 30 days’ annual leave and 10½ days’ public and privilege holidays per annum. NERC has an equal opportunities policy and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. People with disabilities and those from ethnic minorities are currently under represented and their applications are particularly welcomed. Guaranteed interview scheme for applicants with disabilities.
How to apply
Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
Closing date: 27th March 2018.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job