This is a key post within the school which requires dedication and a highly efficient and responsible approach. It requires working closely with the Head Teacher and being able to give their requirements first priority. The post therefore calls for the ability to work on one’s own, to use judgement and initiative and to maintain a professional distance from other secretarial staff. The ability to remain calm and controlled under the pressures of working in a very demanding and constantly changing environment in also essential. This will require considerable flexibility in working hours and styles and a willingness to undertake training to meet the varying demands of the role. As the first point of contact for the Head Teacher it is essential that the post holder has a manner which inspires confidence.
1. To provide confidential, personal and administrative support to the Head Teacher and to be the first point of contact for people wishing to contact the Head Teacher.
2. To liaise with other staff to ensure the efficient processing of the Head Teacher’s Work.
3. Through regular contact with the Head Teacher and the Senior Leadership Team to be aware of, and sympathetic to, the best interests of the school and to communicate these to parents and the wider community as required.
4. To strive at all times to meet the high standards of delivery required for this post including the following:
(i) Dealing with correspondence and documentation as directed by the Head Teacher,
(ii) Maintaining the Head Teacher’s diary, liaising, as necessary with staff, pupils, parents, professional colleagues and the public,
(iii) Receiving visitors for the Head Teacher and to ensure that appropriate arrangements are in hand (including hospitality) for the Head Teacher’s visitors and meetings,
(iv) Liaising with Chiltern Learning Trust personnel on staffing matters under the direction of the Head Teacher,
(v) Preparing for and minuting school and other meetings as required by the Head Teacher,
(vi) Providing confidential secretarial support to members of the Senior Leadership Team if required
5. To maintain confidential files to ensure that the Head Teacher has access to the most up-to-date information and that appropriate files are made ready and given to the Head Teacher in advance of meetings on a daily basis.
6. Draft reports for the Head Teacher as required and prepare the weekly school bulletin and daily briefing notes.
7. At appropriate points, and working with the broad staff team, to:
(i) Contribute to the stated aims and objectives of the school and the Chiltern Learning Trust including contributing to policy formation / review, whole school development planning and evaluation,
(ii) Contribute to problem solving, decision making and managing change within the school,
(iii) Play an active role in developing and maintaining effective working routines at the school,
(iv) Play an active role in activities related to the induction of new staff to the school,
(v) Work both efficiently and effectively with due regard to punctuality and meeting deadlines,
(vi) Collaborate with colleagues in using the resources of outside agencies to best effect and actively promoting a positive image for the school,
(vii) Maintain an optimistic and positive attitude with colleagues, and work to support and motivate others,
(viii) Promote effective written and oral communication and the efficient storage and retrieval of information,
(ix) Achieve a good working rapport with pupils and maintain a balance being friendly and approachable, and achieving specified work tasks,
(x) Periodically take part in staff review / appraisal and undertake relevant INSET activities to update knowledge and skills.
In addition to candidates’ ability to perform the duties of the post, the interview for the post will also explore issues relating to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children including:
• Motivation to work with children and young people;
• Ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people;
• Emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviours; and, attitudes to use of authority and maintaining discipline.
Reed Specialist Recruitment Limited is an employment agency and employment business