Our Malvern based client is looking for a Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality Graduate as a result of continued growth. The role of Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) Graduate is to work within the combined SHEQ team to ensure that the Company’s SHEQ performance, compliance and continued improvement is in line with business aspirations.
This role will require the successful candidate to initially provide Environmental support which will broaden to include Health and Safety support including pre-construction risk analysis, site auditing, site support, compliance assessment and all other tasks deemed reasonable by management
The successful candidate will report to the Environmental Lead and Health and Safety Manger
- To assist the Environmental, Health and Safety Managers with risk assessments identifying controls
- Assist the Environmental, Health and Safety Managers (EHS) and Estimators consider required actions at tender stage
- Complete Environmental audits and advisory visit across all sites under the guidance of Environmental Lead
- In due course, assist with Health and Safety site inspections and audits under the Guidance of Senior Health and Safety Manager and Environmental Health and Safety Managers
- Allow continued adherence to company EHS Policy and associated regulations
- When needed, develop and provide EHS training to employees
- To champion environmental initiatives that reduce the carbon footprint produced by the company in particular through:
- Taking charge of site and office specific carbon monitoring procedures and ensuring that these are embedded throughout the company. In turn this should stimulate continued review of fuel and power consumption targeting reduction and efficiencies.
- Continued strategic review of the companies transport policies to reduce emissions.
- To act as a Company representative on Environmental, Health and Safety matters, working alongside the Environmental, Health and Safety Manager to present our credentials at project specific presentations and across general marketing profiles.
- To assist the Environmental, Health and Safety Manager and Considerate Constructors Liaison Officer in championing the principles of the Considerate Constructors Scheme and providing site specific assistance to ensure compliance.
- To offer assistance and guidance to the Directors and Contract Managers in drafting and developing site specific Environmental Management Plans, Green Travel Plans, Site Waste Management Plans and Construction Phase Plans.
- To monitor and review implementation of the plans at site level assisting with the presentation of topic specific tool box talks to increase environmental, Health and Safety awareness.
- Assisting in ensuring the compliance of company environmental management with the ISO14001 procedure manual and in demonstrating this at external audit.
- Assisting in ensuring the compliance of company Health and Safety with the ISO18001 procedure manual and in demonstrating this at external audit.
- Assisting in ensuring the compliance of company Quality procedures with ISO18001
A related degree within the fields of Environmental Management, Geography, Construction, Health and Safety or Ecology, with additional continual development available on the job
Candidate Key Attributes:
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to persuade others and present a reasoned point of view
- Confidence and ability to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders
- A cool head in an emergency
- Good technical knowledge of Environmental requirements in business and/or legislation
- Understanding of Health and Safety legislation and requirements would be desirable
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation, or willingness to improve in this field
- Good knowledge of Ecology in relation to Construction.
- Knowledge of construction techniques
- Good literacy skills and ability to use Microsoft Office software.
- Willingness to learn and take on additional responsibility.
- Ability to undertake Audits across Environmental, Quality, Health and Safety
- Self-management of appointments
- Full clean UK driving licence.
If you would like to apply please for this role, please email a copy of your CV to Kate Evans quoting reference number GP129
- Health Safety
- Graduate Level