1. Purpose of role
- Undertake Control System Engineering activities at our Mayland Office in Essex, including producing quotations, material specification, producing method statements, Autocad engineered drawings, Software and Hardware Engineering, panel build, etc. To be involved in installation projects on sites both onshore and offshore in both hands-on and supervisory commissioning roles
2. Main Responsibilities· The control systems engineering of projects associated new installation or modifications to existing processes on behalf of key customers who operate in a high pressure, high quality production/manufacturing environment.· Development, design and implementation of Safety Systems within Petrochem, and Rail and various other environments, including hardware and software, attending HAZOPS, writing associated documentation, etc,· Effective planning, control and monitoring, both internally and direct with the client, of projects secured from the quotation stage, through negotiation to contract completion and final accounts· Produce quotations and undertake estimating for smaller engineering projects once training has been provided using the Company’s standard commercial approach. · Provide general commercial and project support to the divisions to enable budgeted results to be achieved.· Achievement of high profit levels through effective contract management, cost tracking and financial control, ensuring efficient utilisation of labour resources at all skill levels and disciplines, sub-contractors, equipment and plant suppliers.· Reporting on contract performance regularly and to Company requirements, ensuring all potential opportunities, variations and risks are identified and reported to the Management as soon as possible.· Define scope and methods of work· Ensure a pro-active approach is adopted to all existing and potential customers to build client relationships and boost market share.· Ensure all projects comply with Safety, Quality and other Company systems and procedures· Carry out effective national and international liaison as required.3. Secondary Activities· Assist in redefining, improving and ensuring all on-site contract controls, labour management and engineering standards are met.· Enable effective internal and external communication.· Enable national and international co-ordination and mobility.
PLEASE NOTE: From time to time your manager may ask you to undertake reasonable tasks not stated within this role profile but commensurate with your position. The Company also reserves the right to review and update this profile to reflect the changing needs of the job. However, any significant changes will be discussed in consultation with you.
4. Experience & Qualifications Required
- Experience with control and preferably PLC based safety systems engineering projects
- Strong general experience of control and safety system engineering and a basic understanding of mechanical engineering.
- Educated to an advanced technical level in a relevant engineering discipline, (e.g. time-served Engineer or part-qualified to HNC level /above or experienced in requirements for this role).
- Strong IT (MS Office) and numeracy skills.
- Experience managing a small team and controlling, organising and motivating internal labour resources and sub-contractors.
- Knowledge of current H&S legislation & Risk Management processes.
- Flexible approach to working away including both Onshore "hands-on" and Supervisory roles along with offshore Oil/Gas project work in the North Sea and potentially worldwide
- Good financial skills including
- cost and budgetary controls
- Engineering qualification or specific training
- Current up to date UK Offshore and Medical Certificates
- PTS Trained or with Rail Industry Experience
- Allen Bradley product knowledge and programmingAbility to use Alan Bradly Software
5. Personal Characteristics Required
- Excellent written and verbal skills at technical and professional levels
- Able to explain technical concepts simply and succinctly
- Solution oriented.
- Able to work at a consistent level under pressure and demanding deadlines
- Able to work with others in various team environments and to be confident and assertive with people at all levels;
- Excellent time management skills, and able to prioritise multiple tasks
- Able to build strong business relationships with key clients
- Flexible and not afraid to roll up sleeves and get stuck in when needed
- Control Systems
- Engineering Discipline
- Financial Control
- Systems Engineering