We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
As Route Manager you will be required to contribute to the region's strategy development process, through effective use of intelligence and insight into customer, asset needs, social and economic demands; developing commercially viable forward programmes and solutions for the route(s) in scope, ensuring these support delivery of the Region's goals.
Day to Day:
* To identify and assess the assigned route needs (i.e. economic, social, asset etc.) in order to articulate the impact on future asset and service development requirements.
* To support Road Investment Strategy 2 development by providing the 'bottom up' route strategy and long term forward programme of work for the route(s) in scope, liaising with all relevant internal and external stakeholders to validate proposals and ensure planned solutions contribute to improving customer experience, Health &Safety performance and overall network performance in the region.
* Develop and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with regional stakeholder and customer groups, such as local MPs, Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships LEPs) and other regional transport or customer bodies, through regular meetings, communication and sharing of information; act as the main point of contact for external stakeholders in relation to network development needs and social economic growth plans, for the route(s) in scope.
* Pro-actively manage, assess and coordinate the prioritisation of investment and works for the route(s) in scope in line with needs, agreed strategy, policies, budget, and efficiency targets; act as the first line approver for programme change requests.
* To initiate requests for studies, and oversee the development of solutions, ensuring new investment ideas are supported by robust business cases.
Experience of developing business and asset management plans, including the development of budgets
Strong commercial and financial acumen
Asset management decision making (capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service & availability optimisation, social & economic knowledge)
Demonstrable experience in the application of asset management principles and the development of integrated asset management plans
Investment appraisal and optimisation techniques; value-for-money criteria and financial evaluation methods
Civil engineering degree or equivalent qualification
Knowledge of relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks
Knowledge of sustainability principles and the application of sustainable development
Excellent stakeholder and communication skills; strong influencing and negotiating skills
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving.
We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/