Road Transport Planner & Manager
Logistical Support Services LTD have an exciting opportunity for Transport Manager to join our friendly, dynamic and forward-thinking team in Stevenage.
As a highly specialised logistics company operating throughout the United Kingdom & Europe, this is a varied and ever-changing specialist road freight operation where you will be planning and routing resources within our Stevenage fleet (Vans & HGV’s) to fulfil each customer demand to the highest service levels. This will be completed concurrentlywith our Bristol and Bolton operations to seek efficiencies and customer satisfaction where required.
You will report to the management and leadership team where your responsibility will be to allocate and optimise resources, plan and evaluate jobs, minimise empty mileage and communicate with drivers. This is all done in line with Road Transport Legislation and according to the appropriate ADR Regulations and security protocols (training and guidance to be provided).
To be successful, you must be able to work well in a team environment with strong and clear communication skills, be highly organised, make decisions promptly and confidently as well as seek opportunities for continuous improvement. As you will be customer facing on a daily basis, you must be presentable at all times and represent the business on a professional level. You will be expected to build a close and friendly interaction with the customer so that the team can maintain and improve existing service levels.
Working closely alongside our customer, you will understand their requirements in great detail and ensure that the operation provides strong performance, compliance and the consistent achievement of customer SLAs.
This is a fantastic opportunity to build on your existing traffic office experience and enter an environment where no two days are the same. Experience in the Defence/Aerospace sectors, secure transportation and or ADR (Dangerous Goods) environments would be advantageous but it is not essential.
NOTE: Due to the specialised nature of our operation, Security clearance is a requirement for this role (we will sponsor such clearance but this can take 4-12 weeks to obtain depending on the applicants background). Applicants must have 5 years’ UK residency & a 5-year verifiable employment history. Candidates must possess a full driving licence (minimum Cat B).
- A proven track record as a Transport Manager with National & International CPC qualifications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the personal ability to build strong relationships with both internal (drivers and management team) and external stakeholders (daily customer interactions).
- An excellent working knowledge of transport compliance (ADR preferable but not a requirement as our two DGSA’s can provide guidance where required).
- The ability to lead, motivate and inspire your team with a real drive for optimisation and continuous improvement.
- Effectively and efficiently plan collections and deliveries for LSS’ fleet on our digital allocation sheet, ranging from 3.5T Vans to 44T Tractor and Trailer Units, taking into consideration many variables such as cargo compatibility, drivers’ hours, driver qualifications, vehicle requirements and legal compliance. All data is to be kept accurate and reflect real time commitments.
- A strong sense of self-motivation in order to drive the team and business towards agreed contractual KPI’s, financial and service goals for LSS.
- The ability to prioritise workloads into a methodical & thorough approach to work, ensuring attention to detail is always maintained when under pressure to meet varying deadlines.
- The ability to identify potential problems before they occur and implement forward thinking solutions to improve the outcome for both the customer and the business.
- Strong route planning skills with strong geographical knowledge (both on a National & European Basis).
- To actively brief and debrief drivers on a daily basis, ensuring Driver Hours / WTD and Tacho requirements are met.
- Accurate and punctual use of company software and systems to ensure efficient operations.
- Communication Skills
- Operational Efficiency
- Route Planning
- Problem Management
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'