Do you want to be part of a community and grow a career? At Southern Co-op we work hard because we want to do well and the more successful we are the more we can give back to our members and communities – that’s the beauty of a co-operative.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Retail Development Manager to join our team. As a Retail Development Manager you’ll develop and drive the retail customer proposition.
You’ll oversee the buying and relationship management of local suppliers through to managing and developing the commercial elements of retail stores services proposition, gaining the best commercial deal possible for Southern Co-op.
- Own all relationships and manage the activity of all “service” providers to Southern Co-op (i.e. Paypoint, Lotto, Collect+, Calor, Rollover, ExpressoPlus etc)
- Actively look to generate new revenue streams to the retail business
- Own, develop, manage strong relationships with specialist local food businesses
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Merchandise Manager to ensure that “locally” sourced products sit within and meet the criteria of the Southern Co-op range strategy. Actively looking to fill any identified range gaps (Not limited to the locally produced proposition). Ensuring that the “customer” is at the heart of every buying decision
- Input into the Trade Plan for Southern Co-op. Ensuring that all Seasonal events are pre-planned, prepared and executed in a way to ensure that sales and profit are at all times maximised
- Responsible for all processes relating to the sale of local product and services in conjunction with the Commercial Operations function
- Manage comprehensive due diligence, in relation to food safety or any other legislation and compliance with relevant regulatory bodies guidelines and best practice in the sourcing of any product or service
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Merchandise Manager (MM) Price Strategy Manager (PSM) and Space & Range Planning Manager (SPM) to ensure that the Range Strategy and Trade Plan are delivered in a timely manner
- Lead, manage, coach and develop the Specialist team to ensure BAU and activities related to the trade plan are delivered effectively and on time
- Define and create the system for archival of historic and relevant information to assist in analysis of historic events and the forecasting of future ones
- Oversee and present as required the day to day overview of the trading performance of the service element of the food retail business
- Ensure complete and accurate understanding of the Federal Retail Trading Services (FRTS) BSA (Buying Services Agreement) ensuring that all compliance measures as dictated are adhered to at all times
- Through the team, coach and support retail colleagues to drive operational compliance and effectiveness of instore execution of proposition. Including actively working to find solutions to any issues or problems that may arise
Key Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Previous operational or commercial retail experience, ideally in management role, preferably in convenience food retailing
- Previous experience in a Merchandising or Buying role
- High level of negotiating skills and ability to communicate at all levels (internal / external)
- Experience of managing a team (Ideally including field based colleagues)
- Sound commercial knowledge and market awareness
- Highly numerate with strong attention to detail
- Intermediate Excel skills, able to manipulate and report on high volumes of data using lookup and pivot table functionality. With the ability to quickly interpret and pick out key points and themes
- A good working knowledge of merchandising systems (JDA or equivalents)
- Effective decision making skills and the ability to quickly identify/ diagnose problems, recommend and implement solutions
- Structured approach with good planning, organisational and prioritisation skills which are utilised effectively in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to think strategically and contribute to wider business planning and development
- Ability to work under pressure
- Drive to constantly learn, develop and improve
If you’re passionate about retail, and have a background in a fast-paced environment then we would love to hear from you. In return, we will offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to develop your skills and grow your career.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job