Job reference number 83131
Resource Manager Technology
Royal Mail Chesterfield
Not many companies can say they’ve been around for 500 years and were founded by Henry VIII, but we can. Royal Mail is the UK’s designated Universal Postal Service Provider, supporting customers, businesses and communities around the country. We are the only postal company to provide a one-price-goes-anywhere, six days a week service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK.
It is an exciting time to join Royal Mail. As one of the UK's leading companies, we generated revenue of £9,776m in 2016-17. On top of this, we have recently undertaken an extensive review and transformation of the Technology function, one of the largest IT transformation programmes across the UK. With this transformation now complete, there is significant potential for growth and success.
Digital is now at the heart of our business and drives our vision of enabling smarter working - from Front Line colleagues through to Head Office. At the same time we strive to deliver innovative products and services through a world class customer experience.
The role is accountable to the Technology Head of Resource Management for capturing resource and skills demand from the Business IT Directors and working with hiring managers and our resource suppliers to meet the demand. Responsibilities include meeting with the Portfolio Directors and other hiring managers to review demand to ensure accurate templates and forecasts are maintained, reviewing allocation and utilisation of resources, and carrying out reporting processes within the defined reporting cycle for the Resource Governance forums. The role is also responsible for managing a variety of resource related projects throughout the year.
Manage day-to-day portfolio stakeholder relationships with Portfolio Directors, Technology Programme and Project Managers, Technology project teams and suppliers;
Manage and operate the day-to-day planning and resource management approach for the Technology portfolio to ensure that it is in line with headcount authority and capital investment programmes;
Manage the analysis of Technology resource prioritisation and project outlook to ensure that good resource management practice is embedded and timely upward reporting is focused on the right exceptions and escalations;
Challenging Directors and Portfolio Managers to ensure existing permanent & contracts resource is being fully utilised
Provide support for Time Reporting including chasing missing time reports, sending reminders, liaising with Finance to reconcile monthly submissions and providing reporting for senior stakeholders;
Provide resource management planning support to address critical capability gaps to the Head of Resource Management;
Manage the continuous improvement and skills transfer processes to embed lessons learnt for Resource management;
Develop key Resource Management communications and reports to support monthly reporting and governance cycles;
Manage supplier relationships within the technology resourcing framework (TRF);
Manage a team of 1+ direct reports;
Strong influencing skills, this will include the ability to influence a wide range of different stakeholders including technical experts and business subject matter experts;
Have an understanding of roles that sit within a technology business would be highly desirable
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Strong relationship building skills;
- Good communications skills;
- Good leadership skills, particularly to support effective resource interventions;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, to review Technology programme and project status and outlook
- Good knowledge and experience of portfolio management techniques;
- Good business knowledge and awareness, this will involve a good understanding of the working of Royal Mail Group and its business areas;
- Desirable, but not essential, to have good knowledge of financial and resource modelling and appraisal tools and techniques;
- Excellent planning skills to operate portfolio-level planning process, and provide critical programme/project resource planning support;
- Good knowledge and experience of working with external suppliers and be able to liaise with external agencies to keep up to date records of contracts resources working within RMG.
- Facilitate requests for contractor through the internal approvals process.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel, with good working knowledge of other MS products including Visio.
- Excellent degree of flexibility and adaptability and the ability to deal with ambiguity.
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date: 05/03/2018
Information Technology, IT Manager, Manager, Technology, Management
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job