Research Operations Administrator - £14.72ph - £17.25ph plus Hol Pay - Central London
Start ASAP to the end of May 2018 initially, extension highly possible
Are you an experienced Research Operations Administrator looking for a new role? How would you like the opportunity to join one of London’s leading Universities as a temporary member of staff?
THE ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will work as part of a team of research administrators, providing comprehensive administration support for funded research activity.
The role will be responsible for supporting research activity undertaken in one of the academic departments; this can be supporting an entire department or working in collaboration with another research administrator to support a large academic department.
1. Provide comprehensive administration and support for research activity, and work as part of the Research Operations team to develop, embed and maintain a consistent and high-quality service.
2. Work with and support academic and research staff with the administration of applications for funded research work (pre-award administration) in accordance with the operating framework, including:
Preparation of proposal costings and related budgetary information;
Advise academic and research colleagues on the Full Economic Costing policy, how this relates to the terms and conditions set by funding organisations, and ensuring compliance with same;
Advise academic and research colleagues on the procedures for ensuring that Ethical considerations, Risk Assessments and Quality Assurance matters are appropriately dealt with;
Support academic and research colleagues with the preparation of research funding applications; including checking and formatting documentation as appropriate;
Work in conjunction with administration colleagues from research partner organisations on collaborative proposals and arrangements;
Advise relevant staff, including Heads of Academic Department on budgeting requirements for exceptional research funding bids.
3. Work with and support academic and research staff with the administration of successful applications for funded research work (post-award administration);
Establish and maintain accurate and accessible project records, documentation and files, and where needed in collaboration with Central Research Services;
Assist the principal investigator with setting up projects and advise on recruitment processes, including how and where the principal investigator can access additional business support for issues relating to recruitment and employment contracts;
Maintain effective communication on administration issues with relevant colleagues at funding (and where applicable) research partner organisations;
Monitor project finances on a regular basis, ensuring income and expenditure is correctly accounted for against budget codes as part of project tracking, and working with the research co-ordinator, research operations manager and Post-award colleagues to inform reporting arrangements, resolve operational issues and take corrective action where necessary in discussion with the principal investigator;
Ensure that principal investigators (academic-lead) and other relevant staff maintain an informed view of project finances; reviewing their monthly investigator reports and ensuring that project expenditure is in line with projects needs and specific funder rules and regulations;
Support the principal investigator in dealing with administration requests made by the funding organisation, including progress/ final evaluation reports and financial statements.
4. Supporting research activity planning and financial processes for at least one of the academic departments, including:
Administration of budget codes covering research and, where required, small grants;
Where appropriate; handling and processing invoices, purchase orders recharges, journal transfers, brought-forward and closing balances, year-end accounts;
Running transaction queries and reports as needed using the finance system;
Liaise with the School Finance Team regarding financial administration relating to research activity, assisting with queries and issues from academic and research colleagues on monthly management information reports;
Support the annual budgeting, planning and forecasting process by working with the Research co-ordinator, research operations manager and research development manager
5. Work in collaboration with professional administration colleagues in other departments, to contribute to the development and implementation of organisational policies and procedures, and help to promote and publicise funding opportunities to relevant academics.
6. To work with the Research Coordinator, Research Operations Manager and relevant Heads of Academic Department in monitoring the funding and contractual position of academic staff.
7. Supporting research work geared toward preparing for the Research Evaluation Framework, and other statutory and formal data returns.
- Experience of Research Administration in Higher Education, including significant experience of understanding funding body requirements and ensuring excellent
- Bid Preparation
- Budget Management
- Research Administration
- Research Grants