New opportunity not to be missed!Ordnance Survey has a unique opportunity available for a Research & Innovation Scientist to join the team in Southampton on a full time, permanent basis offering a competitive salary of circa £34,000 per annum and excellent benefits - this is a fantastic opportunity to develop a rewarding career.
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain, and a world-leading geospatial data and technology organisation. Serving government, business and citizens across Britain and the world, OS helps customers in virtually all sectors improve quality of life.
OS expertise and data supports efficient public services and infrastructure, new technologies in transport and communications, national security and emergency services. And most famously we ensure outdoor leisure is enjoyable, accessible and safe. By being at the forefront of geospatial capability for more than 225 years, we’ve built a reputation for being the world’s most trusted and inspiring geospatial partner.
OS is progressing a number of exciting projects so customers can access data in a highly sophisticated way. Through innovative use of latest technologies OS has the potential and opportunity to significantly improve the lives of millions of people across the globe. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of OS as we deliver the best for Britain, grow revenues more widely and build a world-leading digital economy of the future.
About the Research & Innovation Scientist role
Business Change & Innovation is seeking a Research & Innovation Scientist to investigate and develop novel approaches to the capture and enhancement of geospatial data. The primary focus of the role is to apply state-of-the-art research in fields such as computer vision, spatial data mining, GIS & remote sensing, cloud computing, 3D data manipulation and crowdsourcing, to enhance our geospatial offering and to deliver operational efficiencies.
The role is within an energetic, multidisciplinary team and you will be working on one or more projects with ambitious goals. Your focus will be on long term transformation of the business’s operational function whilst also delivering on short-term objectives. In addition to research and development, an important aspect of this role is the enthusiastic promotion of the team’s activity to gain the support of our many stakeholders.
You will have knowledge in computer vision, and at least one of these fields: geographical information science, spatial data analytics, 3D data analysis, remote sensing or crowd sourcing, and be keen to continue to develop your knowledge to meet our operational needs.
To be the successful candidate you must demonstrate your track record against the following essential criteria and competencies in your application:
- Continuous development of your own knowledge in relevant fields of research
- Desire to investigate new software, learn new skills, and apply this knowledge to data analysis
- Identifying opportunities from current research trends
- Investigating solutions to operational problems
- Managing your own work within defined acceptance criteria
- Collaborating with people in a range of roles
- Communicating, both in writing and verbally, complex ideas to a range of audiences
- Taking an innovative approach to problem solving
- An understanding of cameras, sensors and survey technology would be an advantage
We offer a fantastic benefits package to the ideal Research & Innovation Scientist
- Salary - Circa £34,000
- Performance related bonus
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week
- 25 days annual leave - (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Training & Development
- Paid volunteer day
- Bike to Work scheme (with secure bike storage and excellent changing facilities)
- Free onsite parking
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- On-site nursery
- Very generous staff benefits including over 500 discounts from national stores
- Wide variety of sports and social clubs
- Support for your health and wellbeing from eye care vouchers to health checks
- Flexible working hours
Closing Date: 03 April
Why not click 'apply’ today? Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join the world’s leading map making and big data organisation as one of our Research & Innovation Scientist.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job