Research Graduate Trainee
Location: Kingsmead House, Oxpens Road, Oxford OX1 1XX
Salary: £23K (6-month probationary period)
Contract: Full-time, Permanent
The role - Research Graduate:
Global Water Intelligence is looking to hire an inquisitive and resourceful Research Graduate Trainee to join our team full-time at our Oxford office.
The objective is to develop the successful applicant into a role which best matches their skills and ambitions. These roles include researchers, journalists, data analysts, and project managers.
Relevant training will be provided, and there will be an opportunity to try different activities during the initial six- to twelve-month training period.
We do not expect any relevant experience, but we expect a degree from a good university (Russell Group or equivalent) and we are looking for specific skills. We don’t expect them all in one person but if you think you might be good at two or three of them, we would like to hear from you:
- Interviewing people: If we are going to publish original content, we have to be good at drawing ideas and information out of people. That requires confident and intelligent staff who can network their way to talking to the right people and asking the right questions.
- Writing and analysis: Fewer people have time to read these days. It means that if you are going to write, you have to write well. That means being able to organise your thoughts and express them concisely and with lucidity. Don’t be deterred if English is not your first language. We can edit for English.
- An eye for detail: Our business depends on our ability to speak authoritatively, and we can’t do that if our work is riddled with errors.
- Seeing the visual angle: People increasingly don’t consume information as text: they take it in visually. Feeding this kind of consumer is a challenge. It requires staff who can synthesise complex issues into simple graphics.
- Collecting and managing data: We are the main source of data for the international water industry. With that responsibility comes a number of important skills: a nose for the information that will make a difference, and a doggedness in pursuit of it; a dexterity in squeezing spreadsheets until they tell a story; a deep commitment to accuracy; and, an instinctual feeling for the reality that data purports to represent.
- Managing projects: Most of what we do is a team effort, but getting great people to work well together is a skill in itself. We need people who are organised empathetic communicators to bring it all together.
- Seeing the bigger picture: We want to grow our business, and that involves having people at the front line who can see the opportunity to do things better.
Additionally, it is important that you are a quick learner, have an inquisitive mind, are prepared to take ownership of what you do, and be resourceful and flexible in your approach to work.
Global Water Intelligence is an ambitious young company with around 50 employees spread between Oxford, Austin (Texas) and Shanghai. It publishes market leading magazines, databases, and reports on the international water industry. Additionally, it runs a series of successful events. It has a unique corporate culture which can be summed up as follows:
- We are global: Our market is totally international and we need to reflect that. We travel a lot and around 40% of our staff don’t come from the UK.
- We work for each other: We do work hard, but not out of fear or greed. It is because we care for each other and it lightens the load of everyone if we all pull together.
- We balance the commercial with the idealistic: We are passionately committed to addressing the world’s water challenges, but we can only do what we do because we are a profitable business.
Additional Applicant Instructions:
Please submit a CV and a covering letter explaining in no more than 150 words why you are applying for the job and what you think you can contribute to us that would make a real difference.
We will discard the applications which do not come with covering letters. We will then draw up a shortlist of the strongest candidates for the position to whom we will send a skills test. On the basis of this test, we will narrow the field down to applicants for interview.
The closing date for this role is the 9th April.
- Market Research
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job