An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Research Contracts Officer to join a prestigious University in the Midlands on a full-time basis. The client is ideally looking to make a permanent appointment, however open to considering candidates on the basis of a fixed term contract.
The successful candidate will work as part of a team of contracts officers take responsibility for a broad caseload of contracts relating for the most part to the University research work. The wide variety of contracts you will be required to handle will range from charitable grants to multi-party collaboration agreements involving a number of partner organisations across the EU.
Day-to-day duties may include:
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and approving contractual terms in contracts to ensure optimisation of the University's position and minimisation of risk
- Corresponding with lead researchers from the academic community and the technology transfer company to identify any potential valuable intellectual property which might result in the course of the research
- Providing accurate advice to instruct academics as to the contracts they wish to enter into
- Liaising with governance and ethics colleagues to ensure research is compliant with any appropriate regulations and has been subject to any necessary review
- Coordinating with the accounts, procurement and treasury sections of the wider finance office to ensure the research work has been properly priced and the scope of the research is covered by the University's insurance policies
- Negotiating directly with external parties such as research funders, sub-contractors and collaborators to obtain the best possible contractual terms for the organisation with regard to safeguarding intellectual property, minimising risk and liabilities to individual researchers and ensuring regulatory compliance
It is essential for the candidate to have:
- Previous experience of drafting, negotiating and concluding a wide range and high volume of research contracts in the Higher Education or charity sectors and/or hands on academic research experience with knowledge of intellectual property
- Broad knowledge of key research contract related issues e.g. intellectual property, publication, confidentiality, VAT etc.
- Relevant degree
- Excellent customer relationship skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage a large, complex workload
- A competitive salary of between £29,799 - £38,382 is on offer dependent on experience
- Up to 40 days holiday - 25 bookable days + additional 15 days (inclusive of bank holidays and University closing days)
- Potential for flexible hours/compressed working week
- Opportunity to work in a busy, sociable team in an open plan office
For further information, please contact Philippa Turner or Simran Kumar on or alternatively send your CV to .
Venn Group aim to deliver the highest standards, so you can be assured your application will be handled with professionalism and care.
At Venn Group, we endeavour to respond to all applications within 48 hours. However due to the volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond to all applications individually. If you have not heard from us within a 48 hour timeframe your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Venn Group acts as an employment agency and an employment business.
- Research Contracts Officer