Do you want to join a small, established team who are proud to enable people we support to learn new skills, undertake tasks for themselves and live independently? If so, we are looking for compassionate, keen and caring individuals to join our team of Relief Support Workers to support individuals with a learning disability in Debenham.
Our service is a 24 hour supported living house in a lovely setting in Debenham. The local area is quiet and has a friendly community, it is also 10 miles from Stowmarket/Diss and 13 miles from Ipswich.
We currently support two females and one male aged 40-55, with a moderate to severe learning disability, most of which are very independent and enjoy going out and about in the community. They need around the clock support to enable them to carry out their day to day life. You will need to provide prompts and encouragement when it comes to personal care and physically support with this.
Things you may need to support with:
• Medication administration and management
• Supporting during medical appointments
• Finances: budgeting, utility bills and benefits
• Helping to understand written official communications and action them
• Meal planning, preparation and cooking, cleaning and going shopping
• Updating and maintaining relevant records
• Attending appointments and social activities
Some activities the people we support enjoy are: watching different sports, shopping, visiting churches, going out for lunch, listening to music, going to shows/music concerts, going on holiday, animals, going out for walks, cooking/baking and much more.
You must be willing to work flexibly as and when required. You will work on a rota basis throughout the week and at weekends including bank holidays and sleep ins.
As a Support Worker You will find it extremely rewarding to see the people we support achieve goals, overcome challenges and enjoy their lives by accessing the social activities and day trips they choose.
You must have a full UK driving licence and use of a car. You do not need to have experience in this sector to apply, but you will need to be a caring, positive and trustworthy person who is keen to support adults with a learning disability.
* An enhanced DBS will be required for each successful candidate (Paid for by Mencap, T&Cs apply )
Job reference 12244
We believe that all employees are amazing and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Here are just some of the ways we would value and invest in you.
- Amazing Induction
- Access to award winning training and development
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings*
- Tax free child care vouchers via salary sacrifice scheme for working parents
- Discounts and cashback at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
*T&C's apply based on contract
Mencap is the leading voice of learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You'll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We'll ask a lot of you - but you'll get back so much more. With us, it's never 'just a job'.
Support workers have a massive impact on the lives of the people they support. You can help us to make a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability here and now.
- support worker
- social care