Telefonica is on a truly inspirational adventure. As one of the world's most innovative communication companies and the name behind flagship brands such as O2, we're thinking bigger than ever before. We're taking on new challenges around the world and exploring new ways to open the world for our millions of customers. And you could be part of it all.
About the Team:
The General Counsel's Office (GCO) provides advice to clients within the business and adds value by ensuring that the decision making process benefits from excellent insight into legal and regulatory issues.
Our purpose is to take responsibility and lead the company by providing excellent insight and advice, to be ever more customer led.
Working within the GCO, the purpose of this role is to identify and manage the company's regulatory risks in relation to customer-facing regulation, including managing relationships with key stakeholders such as Ofcom, the Phone-paid Services Authority and Ombudsman Services: Communications, as well as industry groups such as Mobile UK and consumer bodies such as the Communications Consumer Panel.
This role requires the holder to act as a trusted advisor to the business (including, on occasions, senior management and the Executive Team).
The role entails leading and managing discussions with key stakeholders and Regulators on regulatory issues of vital importance to the business.
This role requires the holder to take responsibility for regulatory issues that affect Telefonica UK, relating to a broad range of economic regulation and consumer policy issues and to ensure that the business is provided with regular communication and proactive expert advice on regulatory risks and issues affecting the company's operations, with a focus on the relationship with its regulators.
The role requires establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with both internal clients (at various levels in the organisation), to understand business priorities and strategic direction; and external stakeholders (particularly with regulators) to represent the company's position on various regulatory issues and ensure that the best interests of Telefonica UK are achieved. The holder of the role will be expected to provide advice on very complicated matters on an autonomous basis.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Providing advice to the business on economic and consumer policy regulatory obligations.
- Leading regulatory projects and developing Telefonica's position on a wide variety of regulatory issues. Leading Telefonica's responses to consultation documents, appeals, disputes, enquiries and other related submissions.
- Representing Telefonica's interests with Regulators and other key stakeholders and organisations.
- Developing strong relationships with, and effectively managing, third parties.
- Working with Telefónica S.A. and other Telefonica operating businesses on specific regulatory issues and ensuring Telefonica UK's voice is heard
- Contributing to raising the profile of the regulatory team as being trusted advisors and true partners to the business, recognised as making a direct contribution to the success of their operations.
- (As appointed) Membership and trusted adviser for relevant executive committees of Telefonica and other management fora (e.g. security, incident management)
Skills and Experience:
- A regulatory professional with at least 2 years relevant experience, ideally gained in a regulated company, regulatory authority or through private practice
- Some knowledge of the communications industry and an understanding of the legal basis of the relevant powers in the Communications Act 2003, would be desirable. Failing that, a knowledge of another regulated sector plus a strong desire to learn how regulation of the communications sector operates, would be acceptable.
- Educated to at least degree level, preferably in a numerate discipline (including economics).
- Good analytical skills, including the ability to synthesise legal, economic, market, strategic and technical factors in the context of sectoral regulation.
- An ability to present complex issues both in writing and in person, comprehensively, concisely, and appropriately targeted, depending on the audience.
- An ability to provide innovative solutions to complex issues where appropriate rather than relying on existing solutions and procedures.
- Ability and confidence to provide advice to a wide range of colleagues within the business including, on occasions, at a senior level.
- Capable of leading functional or cross-functional teams or projects.
- Decisive and not afraid to "take a view".
- Familiar working within a regulated environment, deploying all the know-how and sensitivities that are necessary to work successfully in such an arena.
In return for your efforts, you'll be rewarded in typical Telefonica style: A competitive salary and benefits that you get to choose, including our cycle to work scheme, carbon offsetting, flexible working and childcare vouchers. Great news if you've got little ones or other family commitments, or if you want to be more green. And of course, you can expect support, recognition and the chance to progress with us.
Telefonica's commitment to a great work-life balance allows us to consider flexible approaches to working. Like to know more? Feel free to raise it.
Joining Telefonica means opening a world of freedom, support and possibility. A fascinating world where you'll be able to think bigger, be bolder and try new things. And where there are endless opportunities to develop your career. There's so much to discover. Your adventure starts here.