Imperial Tobacco is part of the FTSE30 company Imperial Brands PLC, a dynamic international business specialising in tobacco and non-tobacco brands.
In the UK, Imperial Tobacco is the market leader in the sale and distribution of a wide portfolio of iconic brands such as Lambert & Butler, JPS, Player's and Golden Virginia.
The role of the Regional Business Manager (RBM) is to lead and direct a team to deliver the volume, share and profit KPIs of an agreed portfolio of customers within a set territory. This is a leadership role that requires the strategic co-ordination and motivation of a team of Area Business Managers. You will be based in and around the North East of the UK and be responsible for the a team of Area Business Managers covering the entire region.
The RBM will build strong relationships at a senior level within the UK&I Cluster, and will be responsible for the execution of the Retail & Trade strategy within the premium independent customer base.
The RBM will fully understand the strategic aims of the UK&I Cluster and align these with the retail channel activation plan for their territory.
- Accountable for the leadership, delivery and execution of the trade strategy in order to maximize volume, profit and market share performance.
- To ensure the commercial plan for the team is aligned to the Retail Strategy
- Achieve team volume, market share, distribution, availability, outlet activation and coverage targets for territory
- To have a deep understanding of company strategy and to ensure that all team members understand and are able to deliver our commercial objectives in the context of the strategy
- Input to the Retail channel plans where relevant, providing local customer, market and competitor insights
- Accountable for delivery of resource forecast and facilitating solutions to fill any potential shortfall in projected business.
- Establish close working business relationships with appropriate external customer contacts in order to gain high levels of trade support and advocacy for ITUK brands
- Coach, support and trouble-shoot on customer engagement issues.
- Build strong relationships with key independent customers in line with Trade Strategy
- Develops and endorses ways of working that allows RD Coaches and Availability Supervisors to work in collaboration with one another to ensure a seamless experience is delivered to the retailer
- Is responsible for delivering KPIs within the agreed overhead and A&P budgets
- Lead and manage a team of RD Coaches and Availability Supervisors to achieve set KPI's
- Implement robust development plans for the direct reporting team to achieve expert coaching capability, enabling them to drive high performance of their direct reports (RDEs and Availability Representatives)
- Ensure direct reports understand and are focused on retail channel objectives and their own KPIs
- Conduct regular performance reviews and manage under performance and absence in line with ITUK policies
- Uses robust methods to measure the quality and frequency of the coaching outputs of the RDE Coaches and equably suitable measures to assess the performance of the Availability Supervisors
- Utilise internal customer management systems to report on sales call activities and performance
- Communicate relevant information to enable direct reports to perform effectively
- Assess and recruit talent where necessary to ensure the maximum coverage required is achieved
- Ensure adherence, compliance and communication with all relevant legislation and competition law.
Leadership & People Development
- Develop and manage an efficient and effective team of Retail Development Coaches and Availability Supervisors through training, engagement and career development:
- Establish and maintain a high performance and engaged culture within the team that drives delivery
- Create a strong team identity, ensuring that everyone fully understands the direction and goals of the immediate team, and as part of the UK Retail team and wider business.
- Spend time in the field with team to identify development needs of direct reports and build a coaching and development plan with them
Skills & experience
- Background in FMCG with a level of complexity and where standards of performance are high.
- Strong track record of leading teams
- Commercial and sales oriented - with an understanding of how and where to make money, coupled with a strong understanding of the margin value chain within the industry.
- Understand the IT trade strategy and how it applies to customers within their channel and territory
- Understand company Merchandising standards
- Highly numerate with a good understanding of key financial levers used internally and externally to drive revenue and profit
- Thorough understanding of the independent retail channel, performance, dynamics and challenges
- Understanding of the category and shopper behavior within the independent retail channel
- Good knowledge of IT business applications required for this role
- Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to manage and motivate a team
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Structured professional commercial selling & negotiation skills and techniques
- Results focused with excellent, numeric and data handling skills
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills with the ability to allocate resources effectively.
What we offer
Imperial Tobacco offers a competitive package of salary, bonus scheme, pension and 25 days holiday (with an additional 4 days on top to cover the Christmas period and bank holidays).
Interested applicants should apply with a letter of application highlighting their suitability for the role and current CV.