The Stewart Milne Group is one of the UK’s leading home builders, concentrating on building quality residential homes and commercial builds for a range of customers including government bodies, private and public companies, local councils and private clients. We have a reputation for high quality and innovation with a market leading position based on our expertise, innovation, quality and our commitment to providing the best service to our customers.
Our Timber Systems division is the leading provider of Timber Frame construction solution to the Private, Social / Affordable and Commercial / public works sectors. We operate throughout the United Kingdom and have two manufacturing plants, Witney Oxfordshire and Aberdeen Scotland, with regional offices in Glasgow and Manchester.
Reporting to the Head of Commercial the Quantity Surveyor is key to our businesses success: the role holder is a key customer facing member of the team, who puts the customers’ needs central to their thinking. The Quantity Surveyor shall successfully deliver Timber Frame projects, the measure of success being its commercial compliance or betterment than budget; it being delivered within the agreed timescales; and delivery of customer service / quality.
- Working with the cross functional team across the business, to deliver projects to the correct price and specification, on or ahead of programme and on or under budget.
- Maintain contact with the customer throughout the project lifespan, and act as a key contact.
- Provide pre-contract support on terms and conditions at the sales phase where required; negotiating, agreeing and recording formal Contracts and Warranties with our customers and communicating latent risk to the internal team and seeking Board authority to proceed where required.
- Maintain a full and detailed command of the project brief, in every respect: build methodology, scope of works, programme, process, costs, safe working systems, building performance, employer’s requirements, technical and contractual matters.
- Manage, define and articulate this brief with the customer and internal supply chain. Track the progress of the customer’s input to the project so that their needs are anticipated and planned to the business’s forecasting and planning systems.
- Prepare subcontract tender information and take a lead role in negotiating and appointing the required sub-contractor for the works. Review and approve the subcontractor payment for your projects whilst taking into account relevant variations or recharges.
- Provide direct intervention to manage contractual customer engagement issues such as variations, notices, relevant events, overdue debt, retentions and claims.
- Liaise regularly with the Finance team to ensure all applications for payment are sent out to the Client timeously and maximise the businesses cash flow.
- Take action, control, follow up and solve challenges within the project so that the project budget, plan and customer service targets are maintained.
- Maintain close dialogue with the Stewart Milne Timber Systems internal management team to determine site progress and other site related issues.
- Regularly review project financial performance to identify best practice and cost performance and propose actions to improve performance where possible across the wider business. Report progress on all project matters affecting cost to the Commercial Manager and Finance Director.
- Undertake the preparation of Final Accounts, with reference to the project history and costs, and the negotiation and agreement process.
Essential Technical Expertise
The Quantity Surveyor shall require the below noted Technical Expertise, or be progressing through an agreed development plan to achieve these skills, so that they will be successful in their accountabilities:
- Understands process and how to apply it, relying on a high level of rigour and adherence to robust core processes
- A planner, who applies logic
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Confident and fluent leader with strong influencing skills
- Confident negotiator in a business to business environment
- Commercially astute, at ease with financial data, and innovative in value engineering and can translate this into the Project being managed
- Comfortable with detail and complex situations, can evaluate a situation or process and contribute to or create outright solutions
- Able to prioritise and delegate effectively whilst always tracking progress and retaining accountability
- Broad based knowledge and interest in the Construction Industry, the House Building Sector in particular
- Knowledge of Timber Frame construction
Salary and Benefits
Stewart Milne Group is proud to develop our employees, offering career development and promotion opportunities across the Group.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Generous Holiday Entitlement
- Life Assurance
- Company Car / Allowance
- Pension Scheme
- Flexible Benefits Package
If this sounds like the right step for your career, please apply via link or email
- Project Surveyor/Commercial
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'