Background: Twin and Twin Trading.
Established in 1985, Twin is home to a rich legacy of innovation within the specialty and certified coffee industry. As a non-for-profit organisation we employ resources to build capacity in least developed countries, specifically enabling producer groups to achieve high prices through best quality coffees. This rich legacy allows us to partner with some of the biggest names in the sector where we build lasting relationships through Twin’s Trading Company. As such, quality is at the heart of everything we do and our partners throughout the value chain rely on us to deliver expertise in this important area.
We currently have an opportunity to bring on board a Coffee Quality Officer (Maternity Leave).
Main Purpose of the Job: To provide quality control support, cupping services and assistance with contract administration to Producer Groups, Twins’ Trading & Programs Teams and final customers.
Length of the Contract: 8 to 12 months. Negotiable around circumstances. Minimum 4 days a week.
- Experience in and a demonstrated passion for the world of coffee;
- Minimum 1 year coffee tasting experience; professional cupping experience preferred;
- Microsoft Office Skills are essential; previous use of databases (Caja, Cropster) a plus;
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities, to multitask and prioritise;
- High level of attention to detail;
- Great organisation skills & commitment to neatness;
- Enthusiastic, proactive and results-driven attitude;
- Good communication skills; ability to work well with others in a team and independently;
- Coffee roasting experience a plus. Spanish and/or French language skills a plus.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Administer coffee lab efficiently, process samples into database.
- Send samples for approval/assessment;
- Chase producers for delayed samples and customers for sample approvals;
- Send approval notifications to producer organisations to begin shipments;
- Roast Coffee for the cupping sessions. Set up and participate in the cuppings;
- Provide team with weekly spreadsheets detailing samples received/sent;
- Analyse coffee quality, enter results and send feedback to producer organisations;
- Keep cupping procedures and SCA sheets up to date.
- File quality documentation and assist in training sessions (staff and visitors).
- Process invoices for samples requested at warehouses and coordinate with finance.
We are an ambitious team operating in excess of 30 different markets that is expanding its operations and footprint internationally. This is an opportunity for the right person to gain significant exposure to the world of coffee, trading and development whilst delivering a critical component in our unique structure. We are a close knit team that prides itself on performance within difficult country environments.
Preferred start date March 1st 2018.
- Quality Control