Due to internal promotion, our client based in Sheffield, has identified that the appointment of a dynamic and technically orientated Quality Manager is now required to focus on the performance of the quality and environmental management systems, producing data and reporting on performance, measuring against set standards, and coordinate all activities required to meet customer quality and regulatory standards. Candidates should be meticulous about meeting standards and customer expectations, and committed to improving business performance.
The company operates in a highly professional manner and encourages a culture with high integrity.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This position reports to the Quality/HSE Director and will ensure that the products and services provided by our client are fit for purpose, consistent and meet both external and internal requirements. This includes legal compliance and customer expectations.
As a quality manager, you will coordinate the activities required to meet these quality standards.
Also, you will work closely with the Production and Engineering Departments to drive down the Cost of Quality through investigative research into root cause and the implementation of robust and sustainable process improvements.
You will have a proven track record of delivering improvements within the Quality function and be able to demonstrate effective management of personnel. You will have the enthusiasm to continue the drive in improving existing Quality Standards within the business and have excellent communication skills at all levels to encourage participation.
Reporting into the Director for Quality & Safety you will lead a team of 8 dedicated staff to champion Quality and Auditing within this heavy manufacturing industry.
The team is responsible for ensuring compliance to ISO 9001 and also to the many customer driven quality systems such as those from Rolls Royce, BAE Systems, MOD and the American DOT. Additionally, the team play a key role in assisting the driving of product quality in manufacturing. This is through the testing and inspection of material throughout the whole manufacturing process.
You will need to liaise with other managers and staff throughout the organisation to ensure that the quality management system is functioning properly. Where appropriate, you'll advise on changes and how to implement them and provide training, tools and techniques to enable others to achieve quality standards.
You will advise the business on Metallurgical matters associated with Heat Treatment of the steel cylinders and of the suitability of materials against both customer and internationally defined specifications. This will require liaison with the Engineering & Design team and with the customer's Technical departments.
Typical day to day activities can include but are not restricted to:
* Manage and set standards for product quality and the management of quality across the business.
* Ensure that manufacturing processes comply with standards and legislation at both national and international level.
* Assess customer requirements and ensure compliance.
* Monitoring the production line and doing periodic Quality Control checks.
* Work with operating staff to establish processes, standards, systems and procedures.
* Represent the Quality Function within the Management team structure to identify improvement and ensure prompt implementation of identified actions.
* Determine training and development needs of the Quality team and the wider training requirements for the business with regard to quality.
* Act as a catalyst for change and improvement in performance/quality to maximise profitability.
* Gather, analyse, record and distribute statistical information with regard to quality and the quality management system.
* Represent the business and manage 3rd Party and Customer audit requirements.
* Represent the business in all Quality related Customer and Supplier negotiations.
* Liaise with purchasing staff to establish quality requirements from external suppliers, including site visits for auditing and approval.
* Auditing materials provided by suppliers to assure quality before incorporation into the product.
* Investigating causes of quality problems and proposing solutions.
* Implementing improvements to production processes that lead to overall increases in product quality.
* Manage internal audit process.
* Advise the business on Metallurgical matters associated with Heat Treatment of the steel cylinders and the suitability of materials against both customer and internationally defined specifications.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
* Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment.
* Planning and prioritising activities.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to present data effectively.
* Strong ethics: work honestly and with integrity.
* Self-motivated and results driven.
* Clean driving licence.
* Minimum 3 years' experience in a Quality management role
* HNC in Engineering or Metallurgy preferred.
* Knowledge of the application and development of processes to international management system standards including ISO9001 2008/2015, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001.
* A background in technically engineered products
* Experience in engineering or manufacturing environment.
* Knowledge of Heavy manufacturing (Forging / machining) preferred.